Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jan6

Jan6

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

Hi all,

I am new to this site. I hope you can help me.
Within the last two days, whenever I install the new updates for Windows my computer is crashing, and I have to repair Windows XP. Any idea why this is happening? Do you know of any problems or patches.

Thanks

Jan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

Without knowing more,

if the XP repair is correcting the problem,

I'd suggest you disconnect from the Internet

and turn off automatic updating (or set it to "ask before installing" updates).

Then, run it for a few days - if it's OK, then you know the problem is with one of the recent updates, and you can continue troubleshooting with that knowledge.

Just a suggestion.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

Hi Jan6 and Welcome to Bleeping Computer,

If this all started after the last Windows update, go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Click in the box at the top of the page "Show Updates".
Find the appropriate update, double click and follow prompts to uninstall.
If there was more than one update installed, remove only one at a time and see if it resolves your problem.

If there is no uninstall option, either the update was not designed to be uninstalled or someone has delete the uninstall files.In this case a System Restore is the correct method.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

I've read of some instances elsewhere that update #KB929338 has hosed more than a few systems
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Jan6

Jan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Garmanma, so if I choose to intall all but #KB9.... and all works that would pretty much solve my problem eh. I have had to repair windows two times now, and I do not want to do it again.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

I haven't installed it on my machine yet and so far all is right in the world :thumbsup:
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 07 April 2007 - 04:34 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

I have also read reported problems with KB925902. It was the last Windows update.
Am I understanding you....Have you been unsuccessful at installing the latest update?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy
Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).
There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

From the:
Microsoft Security Bulletin - Summary for August, 2006
http://www.net-security.org/advisory.php?id=6606

Call them. They will be familiar with what update may have caused it and the resolution of the problem.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

I thought about my post for awhile and thought I'd add: This is by no means a reason for not updating your computer. Yes there have been problems from time to time, but not updating is more risky. I do not have auto-updates turned on. There are several sites out there that post and review updates and problems with them. I usually wait a few weeks and when things get sorted out then I'll download
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

Is that why you let your dog wash your keyboard? <g>

Just kidding I have seen the picture years ago but always thought the picture was a riot.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

Is that why you let your dog wash your keyboard? <g>

Just kidding I have seen the picture years ago but always thought the picture was a riot.

I dunno, the picture just spoke to me. I'd like to have a pic of my pug posed like that, but my wife won't let me put her on HER keyboard :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#12 Jan6

Jan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

Thank you for the help everyone, I tried to intall the updates, while excluding #KB929338. I actually excluded the last three updates, just in case. Same problem. When I reboot I get a blue screen. I am not sure what the whole error says, but part of it is (0xF6FZEB8B, OX2A6E68C, 0X000000) AND NV4-MIN.SYS.ADAF6F2... It also says it's dumping and the numbers go from 1 - 100. Then I have to repair windows again! Including IE 7 and 66 updates. Aaaarrrgggg. My only option may be to install one at a time, but that will take forever.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

Next time you get the dreaded blue screen copy down the entire message and post it back here. This will help us sort it out. This NV4 error might be related to your video driver - try updating the driver.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

NV4-MINI.SYS is related to your graphics drivers. Go to the nVidia site and download the latest drivers for your video card, install them, and the error will likely disappear ( http://www.nvidia.com/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Jan6

Jan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:17 AM

ok, not to sound like a total idiot, how do I find my video card?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users