Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Prove Me Right!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Keith2556

Keith2556

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

My friend has an ASUS AM604G router which connects his PC to the internet. He also has from 1 to 4 others that connect through him, wirelessly. Now he says the router isn't good enough, but I say it is. He's a computer illiterate, and I'm his "guru", but I'm not that good either. His problem is that the internet slows down sometimes (NO REALLY!!!) and he won't have it that just because his router isn't the most expensive on the market it is still good enough for the job.

Cheers anyone
Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

Hi Keith! Looking at the specs it looks fine. You say he isnt happy with his speed, why not? Is he lagging alot? This is a good speed test http://www.dslreports.com/tools
MCP
MSDST

#3 Keith2556

Keith2556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

Hi

Thanks for the help. Between you, me and another friend I think we have managed to convince him that it's not the number of computers causing the problem. It seems that the router is getting hot, and we think it may be in the wrong place or faulty.

He has only had the router since Nov/Dec of last year, so it's still under warranty. Fortunately he has also been reading reviews for the ASUS AM604G router and they are all good.

The other alternative was to plug the smart touch modem into another phone socket and use sone or more computers on a wired network. Is that possible?

Regards
Keith

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:27 AM

I have 4 PCs and the only one that is wireless is my Laptop, although other circumstances will mean more PCs may need to be wireless. By adding more PCs to the wired network speed will improve.
MCP
MSDST

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:28 AM

If you have 4 computers connected wireless to the internet through a router, you will suffer speed loss. And one of the reasons for this is because when those frequencies travel from point a to point b, they get slowed down by other interferences around the vicinity, like, tv's, computer monitors, telephone poles, electric poles, cordless phones, etc.... all of the above can cause poor connection speeds with wireless routers.

Also, with wireless, you're prone to others hacking into the connection and stealing your bandwidth.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

And one of the reasons for this is because when those frequencies travel from point a to point b, they get slowed down by other interferences around the vicinity, like, tv's, computer monitors, telephone poles, electric poles, cordless phones, etc.... all of the above can cause poor connection speeds with wireless routers.

Umm... not exactly. The only way any of those will interfere is if they happen to have the exact same frequency and wavelength, and the frequency is 1/4 out of phase. Electric poles give off no more electromagnetic interference than the tree outside my house. Cell phones and cordless phones may interfere, but there is a chance that they will boost the signal also (constructive and destructive interference). It's all basic physics.

Also, with wireless, you're prone to others hacking into the connection and stealing your bandwidth.

Which is easily prevented by setting password access to the wireless connection.

By adding more PCs to the wired network speed will improve.

How? The pipeline is not increasing any?

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:18 PM

[quote]By adding more PCs to the wired network speed will improve.[/quote]
How? The pipeline is not increasing any?
[/quote]
Sorry meant to say router Vs wireless.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users