Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator And My Log On Icon Both At Log In

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:19 AM

While working with Microsoft on the issue of deleting Spyware Doctor (seen elsewhere in this forum), their technical agent must have created a administrator log in (along with my password log in-the one with the King Icon) I like the idea of having a password log in but I really don't want to have the Administrtor log in along with it. Is there an easy way to delete the administrator log in and have just my log in (I am an administrator too) I guess this might have heightened administrative privaleges but I really don't want both on my machine and start up.

Thanks for any ideas on how to remove it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:08 AM

Go to the Start button, type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter

Type this command in to disable the built-in administrator account:

net user administrator /active:no

Then press Enter and the account should be disabled on your next reboot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:17 AM

typed in exactly as you gave me net user administrator /active:no at the cmd. exe

and I got error 5 system access denied.

Do I need to do this in Safe Mode?

Thanks for the assistance. I am sure we can eliminate the dual log in. :huh:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:28 AM

Nope, this is an issue that I have with Vista.

Click Start once
Type in cmd.exe
Above that (at the top of the column) will be a title "Programs" and underneath it will be cmd.exe.
Right click on that and select "Run as Administrator"
Then type in:

net user administrator /active:no

and press Enter

You should get the dialog that says "The command completed successfully"

EDIT: At times I want to strangle the person who thought up UAC!!!! :huh:

2nd EDIT: From this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=491598

Follow my original instructions, but hold down Ctrl and Shift when you press Enter to open cmd.exe - it'll prompt you for permission to elevate.

Edited by usasma, 07 April 2007 - 11:32 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:44 PM

Exactly the right step by step process. This one needs to be printed and put in a book. Thanks so much for your assistance. I really do appreciate it.

JazzMahn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users