Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rename & replace registry?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markmyword

markmyword

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:34 PM

My computer shuts down automatically. For months it would just shut down if I left it alone for 30 minutes or so....a problem when you're trying to download or burn DVD's. I thought maybe it was an auto-shutdown issue, but I turned all of this off in the bios. Maybe a memory problem, although it didn't happen when I loaded many programs (photoshop, dreamweaver, word, outlook, etc.) so I took my existing memory out and replaced it with new memory. Still a problem. I then cleaned and compacted my registry and this seemed to eliminate the problem for a while. Now it's back. (when turn the system back on it often states "system has recovered from a serious error" no bleep!)

I have figured out how to make it shutdown:

If I run a registry optimizer, this shuts it down.
If I run a full system scan using Norton (or any other virus prog) it will shut down (not immediately and there is no consistent time frame).
If I run something like Urban Terror on the Quake engine.
If I run a divx to dvd program.

I'm thinking maybe I have a bad spot on my drive where the registry is (I've run disk fixin' programs...lots), but I really don't know. My thought is to back-up the registry, rename the registry and then restore a backed up registry if possible.

I need some serious help here.

Config is AMD 1700 processor running xp.

Nay help much appreciated.

Thanks...Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Apocalypse1972

Apocalypse1972

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:28 PM

Hi, I also run an amd and had this problem before, in my case it was the cpu overheating, the heatsink under the cpu fan was clogged with dust, try checking what temp. your cpu is running at

Edited by Apocalypse1972, 12 January 2005 - 02:28 PM.

#3 markmyword

markmyword
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:16 PM

The processor temp is around 125 F. Plus, I can make this happen as soon as I turn the computer on if I run any of the stuff I listed above. FYI - this is not a normal shutdown. After this happens, I have to turn off my computer on the switch in the back, wait 5 seconds, turn it back on and then press the switch on the front.

Thanks...Mark

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:19 PM

Do you have an AGP or PCI video card?

It sounds like a heat related issue based on you having to physically shut it down, wait, then bring it back up. Even though you show normal temps, it may not show you the temp spike before it shuts itself down.

The reason why I ask about the video card is because if you do not have one, then you may be able to take some of the "pressure" off the CPU by deligating tasks to a dedicated card.

It could be a power issue as well, but those as usually related to having a computer that does not come on at all, or when to turns off after a specific time.

Another thing you could look at is the fans. If you can turn off all outside noise as possible, and listen to right before it shuts off, see if you hear the fans powering down. Even for a moment, the computer may turn those off first, in the process of turning all of it off.

Another item that may help out would be the motherboard name. If you are not sure of what it is, then a make/model number of the computer would be helpful. Also, if you have added any hardware recently, it would be helpful to mention it.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users