Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Installing Gentoo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

I'm having a big problam installing Gentoo Linux. I've downloaded the PPC32 version of the universal install ISO, burned the ISO CORRECTLY, but it still won't work. When I use the disk on the computer I want to install on, it gets to a black screen where it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER."

The CD is in, and the BIOS is set correctly, what could be keeping it from booting?

Computer specs:
Pentium 2
Micron Millenia.

Can't get more specifics without an OS...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

PPC32 is for 32-bit Pocket PC computers

try downloading the version for x86

http://bouncer.gentoo.org/?product=gentoo-...imal&os=x86

#3 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:03 PM

Is is possible to get a universal install CD so I don't have to do weird stuff when I try to install it? Like getting extra files from the internet?

#4 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:30 PM

Hello madman6510,

PPC, as twardnw is also now aware is short for (Apple Macintosh) PowerPC so unless it's a Mac you are trying to install on..... you'll find no joy there. However the x86 version is what you will want unless you have a 64 bit processor in which case choose that option.
As for your other question, sorry i am not at all versed on gentoo.... is there a bandwidth or data cap problem stopping you from using online repos? package managers may seem a little daunting to use when first starting out but for the most part the GUI managers are pretty easy to work with these days, plus there is also BC :thumbsup: and the gentoo forums. Although I find the yum, apt-get and rpm option under a terminal interface a lot quicker and informative, but that's just me and my two cents worth.............
Cheers, Lucent.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users