Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 cardoc

cardoc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

Am using XP and have 4 accounts. Can't remember main user password. Can't install or remove programs etc. Any help for me? thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:14 PM

Go to http://www.elcomsoft.com/ppa.html and download a free trial of the Proacive Password Auditor, that should go in and find your password for you.

#3 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:37 PM

if you just want to reset it, goto:

Start
Run

type: "control userpasswords2" (sans quotes)
click Ok
from in there you can reset the password

#4 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

Be careful with the control userpasswords2 command, because all encrypted data will be lost on the affected accounts.
Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#5 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:08 PM

that's easy to fix tho, you just have to take ownership of the affected files/folders

#6 cardoc

cardoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

tried both of the above ideas. no luck. this password is the only one that is a system admin. can't even log into it, but the other 3 accounts are usable but XP will not allow me to install or uninstall etc. from any accounts but the 1 i forgot the password to.

#7 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:31 PM

On the remote chance that you are a disgruntled employee or a teenager trying to circumvent his parents, or something else illegal or unethical, I have to stop helping here. No offense, but Bleeping Computer does not teach how to crack passwords. If you are the real owner, perhaps you can remember the real (hidden) administrator account password, not the account with admin privileges? That would solve your problem, and I won't be breaking any rules.
Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:54 PM

I am closing this topic. We do not provide info on how to crack passwords regardless of its legitimacy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users