Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Suddenly Goes Scrambled

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 drummy41

drummy41

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

New to the board, nice place.

I got a new Dell Windows Media Center computer in 11/06. Ever since I got it, it's been doing this. Basically to sum things up, I'll just be sitting here doing my thing on my computer, and suddenly everything jumbles. Or even after I come back from not using it for a while, it'll still do it. The start bar goes to the top, my aim buddy list goes to the opposite side, some icons disappear, majority of the screen turns white, etc etc etc. And it's not always the same every time. It's the goofiest thing I've seen. It just forces me to restart every time.

I know it's not the monitor and/or the cable, because when I press a key or click, things jumble around again. I have talked to Dell over and over and over again. Eventually they changed the motherboard. Sweet, no more problems. Oh wait, yeah there are.

So it has to be software, right? Or do I have a bad graphics card? I've ran all the bios tests, reinstalled windows, downloaded every driver, and completed every Windows update. This is starting to get extremely old.

Hopefully someone out there can help me out. I'll give you a dollar :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

Is the warranty still valid? If so, try to get a new computer from Dell.

#3 drummy41

drummy41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

Yes, I believe so. But I've asked them and asked them, and they just keep wanting to do troubleshooting.

Perhaps I should be more demanding/straightforward?

#4 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

Yes, I believe so. But I've asked them and asked them, and they just keep wanting to do troubleshooting.

Perhaps I should be more demanding/straightforward?

Yes, just still talk in a calm voice, or they won't want to help you at all.

#5 drummy41

drummy41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:58 AM

So, do you think that's the only alternative, to get a new one?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

Have you looked in the Event Viewer to see if it's reporting any problems? Also Device Manager,see if there are any yellow exclamation points. How did you reinstall the OS, with Dell's restore disc ?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 drummy41

drummy41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Yes, I used the Dell Reinstall disc.

The device manager is fine.

I looked through the event viewer and noticed some errors I haven't seen before. There's 6 in a row that say the source is "sidebyside." One of the descriptions "Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\MSIInstallPlugin.dll. Manifest. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully." Another is "Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\EXEInstallPlugin.ddl.Manifest" on line 2. The required attribute version is missing from element assemblyl dentity."

Wow, there's more: "Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."
Another: "Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully."

These have happened during times where I haven't even been using my computer like when I'm at work or overnight.

I am clueless as to what these messages mean, hopefully you understand them.

#8 drummy41

drummy41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:42 PM

ummmm, ok, just found another one...

source: application popup
description: Application popup: Windows: Other people are logged onto this computer. Shutting down Windows might cause them to lose data.

Do you want to continue shutting down?

This is not good...

...and the user for some of these actions is "NT Authority\System"...

Edited by drummy41, 07 April 2007 - 05:01 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:17 PM

I'm not all that knowledgable about troubleshooting errors It'll take me a bit to research. Hopefully someone that knows more will jump in. I tend to think that you had some missing or corrupt files when you restored. You did check Win Update after restoring?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

2 questions Are you the only person on this computer or do you have a couple of user accounts? Are you sure you downloaded the correct drivers?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 drummy41

drummy41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

2 questions Are you the only person on this computer or do you have a couple of user accounts? Are you sure you downloaded the correct drivers?
Mark

Yes, I am the only person and there's only one user account. And I'm pretty sure I've downloaded the correct drivers....Dell support pretty much walked me through it.

Edited by drummy41, 07 April 2007 - 07:02 PM.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

This is just an educated guess. You might want to delete the user profile and create a new one
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#13 drummy41

drummy41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

You think that'd help even after I've reinstalled windows? I really don't know. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users