Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Unusual Problem With Networking Hardware

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 versitalbear


  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

I have a problem that will likely pop up more and more in the future, I have a VOIP home phone and I will be working out of state for about a month and the hotel I will be staying at only offers a wireless internet connection and I would like to use my phone there but the VOIP adaptor is only a wired type of connection.
I was told that I could link my laptops 10/100 wired card to my laptops wireless card by bridging the connections then just leave the laptop on so the VOIP adaptor stays connected to the internet using the laptops wireless card. I can get the laptop to bridge from the wireless to the 10/100 but I have tried everything I can to get it to go the other way (10/100 to wireless) it seems it is only able to go one way which will not allow the VOIP adaptor to connect to the internet.
So what I want to do is plug my VOIP 10/100 cable into my laptop and have the VOIP adaptor able to go threw the laptop and connect to the internet via the laptops wireless card so I can use my phone when I am at this hotel.
I am using Windows XP home edition, the internal 10/100 network card on my hp laptop, and a Belkin wireless G wireless card. If you know how I can do this please be very discriptive on how to do it.


EDIT: Removed email to protect member from Spambots. ~acklan~

Moved from the "Hardware" Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 07 April 2007 - 04:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 twardnw


  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, OR
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:09 PM

you could get a wifi bridge, such as...


or you could share the connection through your laptop, and would have to make sure that the firewall has exceptions in place for the ports that the VoIP phone would need

#3 acklan


    Bleepin' cat's meow

  • Members
  • 8,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Baton Rouge, La.
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:38 AM

Are you using a standard patch cable or an Ethernet crossover cable? If you are going NIC to NIC you will need a crossover cable, or a hub between the two.

Edited by acklan, 07 April 2007 - 04:40 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users