Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Failure- Seems Ok- How To Make Sure...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

Hello All!!!

Short failure and turned everything off before power came back up. Turned on and booted regularly with no special messages whatsoever. The HD was running at time of failure due to a scan in progress.

Will run "Check Disk"....What REALLY should be done to make sure all is OK????

Thanks!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

Get a UPS (uninterruptible Power Supply) that has software to do an orderly shutdown of Windows in case of a power failure. Another plus is the "evening out" of brownouts caused by common household fluctuations in the electricity. It's cheap insurance. Sounds like you got lucky this time! :thumbsup:
Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:04 AM

Agreed.....That would be an insurance policy probably worth the taking.

But, is there a "scan" that would assure me that no damage was done this time????

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:01 AM

A couple of power stories:

1) Lightning struck the cables down the street from our house. I had surge protectors on everything. I lost RAM, NIC cards, TV Card, etc. What happened was the lighting hit the cable TV cable and came through that to fry my equipment. So now I have surge protectors on my cable also.

2) Lightning struck my wife's office twice in a short period of time. The first strike killed the surge protectors and the second strike fried a lot of stuff because the surge protectors died. Replaced the surge protectors and double surge protected the cable connection (too many devices to double surge protect them all).

There are tests that you can run, but they're different for most systems.
1) Try MemTest for your memory (free here: http://www.memtest86.com/ )
2) Download a diagnostic utility from your hard drive manufacturer (usually free)
3) Google for SiSoft Sandra Lite and run it to see if it notices any problems with your system (most of the motherboard testers that I have see will cost you more than the motherboard).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:13 AM

Usually Windows itself isn't damaged in a power failure or spike. If you suspect it is, use your XP disk to do an SFC (System File Check). It's the hardware that is at risk from power fluctuations.

A surge protecter is NOT the same as a UPS. An SP cannot level out power, and will not prevent damage from a direct lightning hit or extremem power spike.

Look for a model you can plug the telephone cord, cable or dsl cord into, and then feed it to the modem or computer.

If you suspect a hardware issue, sniff the motherboard. I know it sounds silly, but your nose will detect the melted/burned plastic faster than your eyes.
Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#6 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

Smelling nothing and system appears to be running just fine...Apparently no damage. Thank goodness....

I now definitely see the difference between surge protection and the UPS issue. TY

Is this the proper link for the memtest86 for my Presario with WinXP?
Download - Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.3 installable from Windows and DOS
Save to Desktop and run from there?? Since system is running OK...maybe this is not necessary....How much of a "footprint" does memtest86 leave?????

SO lightning doesn't strike twice...Hmmm...The first eliminated the protection and the second did the damage...Sounds like one of our Army's surgical strikes...And, just as effective!!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

Yes, but you'll have to burn it to a CD from an ISO file. Read the directions about this and it'll explain it in more detail.

You'll boot from the CD and Memtest will launch automatically. Let it run at least 2 or 3 passes (overnight is better).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users