Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xSwtLilAngel666x

xSwtLilAngel666x

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

When I open my Control Panel, I see this folder icon. It's blank, and I don't know what it is. I'm tempted to delete it, but since I have no idea what it is, I don't want to risk damaging my computer because of my hasty decision. Could anyone tell me what exactly it is? Many thanks.

Here's what it looks like: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/237/cpxa6.jpg

Also, sometimes, I get random music/noises whenever I'm on my computer. I have no idea where it's coming from. Some examples are techno music, this buzzing noise, and noises that sounded like someone was taking pictures. Why am I getting these noises and how do I get rid of them? @_@

Edited by xSwtLilAngel666x, 06 April 2007 - 06:13 PM.

Supporting the American Cancer Society

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

If you right click on the folder and open it, what is inside? Or is there nothing at all (you can check the folder properties)?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 xSwtLilAngel666x

xSwtLilAngel666x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

If you right click on the folder and open it, what is inside? Or is there nothing at all (you can check the folder properties)?
Cheers,
John

You can't open the folder. When you right click it, all you can do is either cut it, create a shortcut or delete it.
Supporting the American Cancer Society

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hi xSwtLilAngel666x, :thumbsup: to BC

Are you comfortable going into your registry? If you are we might be able to figure out what this is.

Warning Mess With Your Registry At Your Own Risk

If you feel comfortable enough or know someone who can do this for you I need you to navigate to a certain registry entry, export that entry to another place, change the exported entry to a notepad file and then paste the contents of that file on the board so we can try to figure out what that folder is.

If you do not wish to do this, that is OK too but I don't know any other way to figure out what that folder is or is supposed to be.

Click your Start button and click the Run button. In the Open: box type "regedit" (without the exclamation marks) and click OK. Your registry editor will now open.

Before you do anything else right click on the My Computer entry in the registry editor and select export. This will export a copy of your registry to a place of your choosing so that you can restore your registry if you make mistake.

Now you want to navigate to this registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Extended Properties\{305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2

Right click on the folder named "{305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2" and then export this registry entry also.

Now go to were you exported the "{305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2" entry to. Right click on the file and with The Open With option in the drop down menu open this file with Notepad (you may have to use the Choose Program... option in the Open With menu to find notepad).

Copy the entire document and paste it here so we can try to figure out what that folder is.

Edited by Ronbo, 06 April 2007 - 08:49 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 Master5270

Master5270

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

Hi xSwtLilAngel666x, :inlove: to BC
Please do refrain from doing this :trumpet:
This :thumbsup:
or this? :banana:
Sorry for the :flowers:
Hmm i have the same thing but not the same picture... i believe its the Control Panel itself! :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users