Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 Link Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

The software tech at the office checked my notebook for viruses, malware etc. and it is clean.

Originally I thought that I was having a problem with IE 6 version 6.0.2900.2180 xpsp_sp2_gdr.061219-0316, however as I have had time on this long weekend to check it out; when I click on any Link using IE to search for something the Link opens up and there is not problem.

However, when I click on a Link that arrives in an email the error that " IE has encountered a problem and must close down occurs."
The Outlook version is Outlook sp2-906451 (MS Outlook 11.8118.8122 sp2).

The software tech did not have time at the office to check out the program as it is the long weekend and there were other issues that he was dealing with.

It seems to me that Outlook and IE6 are not communicating???

The Outlook was just installed recently and I just started to use it as my program instead of OE.

Does any member have any ideas of what the problem could be?

Since it is the long weekend, there is no one available and there are Links in my Emails that I am trying to open and the problem occurs.
Most of these Links I am trying to access to get some work done and now I finally realize that it is actually the Outlook program while I thought before that it was the Links in IE 6.

I hope that someone has some ideas in respect of this problem, thankyou.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:04 PM

Found something here that might help
Do you find that when you click a link in an email nothing happens?

This can occur when another program has registered itself as the default application for browsing the web. If this program is not well written, or it has been uninstalled, outlook express cannot launch a browser window when you click on a link within an email.

To remedy this problem you must re-register Internet Explorer as the default browser.

Start Internet Explorer
Select the Tools->Internet Options menu
Select the [Programs] tab
Look for a checkbox labelled "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser"
If this checkbox is not ticked, then this is the cause of the problem, so tick it!
Click OK
Close Internet Explorer
Re-open Internet Explorer
Close Outlook Express
Re-open Outlook Express
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

Thx for the reply, I have had more time to spend on the notebook and tried your suggestions and I also went into the CP > Set Programs Access Defaults>Browser as the configuration is "custom".
I changed it to "IE" as it was set at "use my current web browser" and I was doing OK, I was able to open hyperlinks.

I talked to a work colleague as we all had the install of M$ Office 2003 at the same time as it is sufficent for our needs; and no one else was experiencing the problem I am.
The next day after the install of the Office I did a d/l of free Super Antispyware and started to notice this problem, maybe coincidence I don't know.

My notebook is a toshiba mx-50 m5, Pentium M750,1.86 ghz, 1 gig Ram, windows xp sp2.

My security programs are spybot, spyware blaster, trojan hunter, NAV and SMC Router and Alpha Shield all required by management; but the notebook is mine.

I update and scan daily and nothing has shown up.
Today I decided to uninstall Super Antispyware as it is the only new addition to the notebook. After I did this uninstall it came up with a Purchase offer asking for my Web Browser name from a long drop down menu and my e-mail address. I didn't fill anything out.
I did a search and found some fragments of the program and deleted them and then found 2 www.antispyware.com folders that I can't delete.

Anyway I did a reg clean and started to do some work again and found that I could not accesss my Links again, including hyperlinks from forums.
So I went back into the CP and checked and found that the "IE" setting in "Set Programs Access Defaults" will not stick, it changes back to "use my current browser".

I'm not having any other issues, like home page change or getting redirected to another site.
The version of IE that I have is 6.0.2900.2180xpsp_sp2_gdr.061219-0316.

This inability to make the IE remain has occurred after this uninstall and these 2 folders sitting there in my search that I can't delete.
Of course it is the long weekend and no one is around and so this indeed is a mess. I would like to straighten it out myself b/c the office software techie is not going to be pleased on Tuesday when I return to work.
Thought I would fill in what is presently occurring.
So indeed it now seems to me that it is the IE that is the problem and our management at the office does not want IE7 installed until more time goes by.
We can't install any other browser.

I hope that this is intelligible, thankyou.

#4 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:31 AM

I resolved the issue, it was IE6 that was the problem. I reset my web settings and now am working on getting them back to where they were before.
I thought that I should post my solution in case other members have similar problems, thankyou.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users