Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaner Recommendation(s)?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 muzzles

muzzles

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:33 PM

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good registry cleaner. I mainly want it for a XP pro, but I have XP and win 89 that I would like to use it with also. I'm looking for one that will do a very good job and ease of use is important also. I normally perform regular maintenance (scan disk, defrag and virus and spyware). I have had the XP for 2+ years and am trying to avoid or delay a reload on the XP and 98.

Thanks

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 06 April 2007 - 09:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

Below are 2 that I use.

Eusing Registry Cleaner
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm
Eusing registry cleaner is a fast and FREE, and most importantly, very good at cleaning out bad registry entries. Even if you use other registry cleaners, you should definitely add this one to your list.

Replendent Registrar Advanved Registry Manager
http://www.resplendence.com/registrar
Replendent Registrar is yet, another very good registry cleaner and manager. The latest version checks for hidden registry entries and can be used as a CLSID lookup utility. This has many advanced features, which makes it needed even more. Although this is not actually a FULL FREE product, I'm listing it because the lite version is FREE, but some features are disabled. But for the average joe, this will be a very useful tool.

The 1st one is simple, and does a good cleaning with just the click of the button. The 2nd one is highly advanced, and does more things than many other registry cleaners don't do. It also has search functions registry editing from a remote location.

#3 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

thank you, I'll try both

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

With any registry cleaner, be extremely careful about using it. Unless you are prepared to review each and every candidate for deletion, or at the very least feel confident about your understanding of what you are looking at, their use can be extremely dangerous, causing applications and even your OS itself to malfunction. For what little good cleaning the registry does, tinkering with your registry can cause more problems that it solves.
In any case, be sure to make a complete backup of your registry before making any changes to it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

Below are 2 that I use.

Eusing Registry Cleaner
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm
Eusing registry cleaner is a fast and FREE, and most importantly, very good at cleaning out bad registry entries. Even if you use other registry cleaners, you should definitely add this one to your list.

Replendent Registrar Advanved Registry Manager
http://www.resplendence.com/registrar
Replendent Registrar is yet, another very good registry cleaner and manager. The latest version checks for hidden registry entries and can be used as a CLSID lookup utility. This has many advanced features, which makes it needed even more. Although this is not actually a FULL FREE product, I'm listing it because the lite version is FREE, but some features are disabled. But for the average joe, this will be a very useful tool.

The 1st one is simple, and does a good cleaning with just the click of the button. The 2nd one is highly advanced, and does more things than many other registry cleaners don't do. It also has search functions registry editing from a remote location.

Hi Walkman,The second registry cleaner you mentioned seems more advanced.As for the lite version would you share your settings for basic cleaning.Perhaps there's a guide as to how to use the lite version.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:50 PM

Although the 2nd one is more advanced, I have only used that one for direct searches for registry entries. In other words, I only use that one to look for specific entries in my registry, which I'm trying to delete.

Another reason for the second one is that if you have a virus, malware, or whatever, but your programs can detect them, but not remove them, that's where the 2nd registry cleaner comes in at. And it's good for when uninstalling programs, and you want to make absolutely sure you've gotten rid of the orphaned files (files left behind to be on their own).

But, from what I've experienced with registry cleaners, they are already defaulted to do their job. And because each search may require a different approach, I have never found the need to set anything within the programs to be defaulted to when I load them up.

I can tell you this though about the Resplendent, it will allow you to undo changes you've made to your registry individually, in any order.

Lastly, there is a Help button within the program, which will also shed light on some features, settings and so forth.

#7 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks for that answer.I used the old regcleaner and i was looking for a cleaner which worked along those lines.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:48 AM

CCleaner also has a registry cleaner function. Like jgweed said, be careful cleaning your registry and always make a back up.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:15 AM

First, read this topic.
http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle...aner+Fred+Langa

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

Also, doing the Windows Live OneCare online scan will clean your registry.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

For many reasons, I will always do my best to stay away from online scanners, and most positively, definitely, absolutely an online scanner that cleans my registry. I don't trust the internet nor any company/service that much. Just give me the software, and let me be on my way. If my computer gets screwed up like that, it's gonna be my fault. The registry is the very 1st most important/sacred part of your computer. It's the organs that make a life form live.

I would definitely advise everyone to learn to clean your own registry, even by means of software and (or) manually. The registry is nothing more than references to something that's on your computer. If you know how to search, and know what you're looking for (from logs, and such), you can do the same exact thing an online scanner can do. The online cleaners just do it automatically. I wouldn't be surprised if any of them are the Resplendent registry cleaner, because you can do a remote registry cleaning using it.

Technically, the registry should be amongst the top 3 things a person should learn about computers. It's the internal organs.

Look at driving..... look how many people drive, everyday, taking a life threating chance of a possible crash. But they still drive. And the worst part about driving is that it can be another persons fault that causes your crash. But we still take that risk.

What's so detrimental about computers, and taking risks with it too? At least with computers, you will always get another opportunity to make things right. You can't say that about driving.

To me, it's the same difference. I personally would hate for anyone to have an automobile crash as well as a computer crash, But there is just one of them that gives you the full potential of learning, and more than enough times to correct your mistakes.

How many people die when automobiles crash?
How many people die when computers crash?

My point is this. No matter how dangerous a registry is said to be, it should not make you say "ohhh, I'm not going to try to fix it." It's a computer. And yes, it could cause you more harm than you bargained for, but as I still sit here, I'm 100% registry cleaning... every time. And I have never used one that even remotely caused me to have any problems. Registry cleaners will clean your registry, and most people that have worse issues after using a registry cleaner, have more than likely exposed an already problem that was going to surface eventually. And some times when you have a problem on your computer, and then fix the actual problem, it can sometimes leave after-effects.

I had Smitfraud-C Toolbar 888, about 2 months ago, and when I cleaned it up, and then use Spybot or AVG... it found some more remnants of the trojan, and when it told me it had spotted it, I chose to clean it up, and when the program told me it cleaned it up, I pressed the OK button, and then my computer just instantly rebooted but would not load Windows at all. After plugging the hard drive into my testing computer, I ran tests on it, and it found a few more remnants... but still, my Windows would never again load. So.. since I had backed up my hard drive, I've simply reinstalled my os back after I repartitioned and formatted the drive.

The point above?.... During those stages of trying to rid my computer of a trojan, I hadn't yet used any of my registry cleaners. But look what happened, a well respected program told me it found the trojan and it cleaned it up for me, but when I ok'd it, my computer instantly rebooted. I'm thinking that if I manually went to remove the file found, I probably wouldn't have had that problem. But.. that can be classified as pure speculation, because I don't know what would have happened if I did it manually (not that I don't know what I'm doing).

Again, my point is to get to know your registry system, and also use a installation monitoring program that not only records what you installed on your computer, but also has a text or any other log where you can see file for file, directory for directory, registry for registry,, etc, of what was every file of that install. When you have that information, and you have problems like Add/Remove won't uninstall your programs, or any other uninstall method you try,,, you can take that log and manually go to every single location on your computer where that program installed files, and then manually delete them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users