Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Mac Laptop To Home Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jus78

jus78

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:33 PM

I have a Mac Powerbook G4 laptop that has a built-in ethernet. I also have a PC with cable internet that is connected via ethernet cable. I am trying to connect my laptop to my PC's connection by simply unplugging the ethernet cable from my PC and plugging it into my Mac. After doing so and asking my laptop to automatically assign an IP address it still will not connect. Can somebody please advise on this? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

you will need to power-cycle the modem after you plug it in to the laptop. I would suggest purchasing a wireless router so that you can use both at once

#3 jus78

jus78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the help. It has enabled me to connect to the Internet but I can't connect to a remote server, which is what I'm actually trying to do. It is a laptop that I received through work and am trying to access their server from home but it tells you that the IP address is not correct and that the server cannot be found. Can you please advise on this? Thanks again!

My Entourage email doesn't work either.

#4 jus78

jus78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

This is the error message I get with my email.

Entourage cannot find the server. Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct.

#5 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

It could be that your computer is currently only set up to access the mail server from inside the work network.

Are you able to browse any web pages?

EDIT: nvm, had only read your most recent response.

Do you know what IP address your computer is getting from the modem?

Edited by twardnw, 06 April 2007 - 04:27 PM.

#6 jus78

jus78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

Yes, I am using the laptop on the Internet now.
It is using the IP address 74.100.59.192 which was automatically configured.
Should I be manually configuring the IP address to conform with the one that is used in my workplace?

#7 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

no, then you won't have access to the internet.

Do you know what type of connection you are using in the office to get your email (pop3, imap, exchange)?

Edited by twardnw, 06 April 2007 - 07:58 PM.

#8 JaxBearsFan

JaxBearsFan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

no, then you won't have access to the internet.

Do you know what type of connection you are using in the office to get your email (pop3, imap, exchange)?

I'll be watching this thread and hoping for an answer.

I'm in the exact same situation as the original poster, and the guy I'm trying to help is using Exchange. He can connect with his MacBook to the Exchange Server using either Entourage or Mail, but Entourage tells him he can't connect to the Exchange Server when he connects (successfully) using VPN at his home.

I've read that you have to:

"Change the 'sending mail server' settings in your account settings to match your new ISPs mail server"

...but is there a way to do this automatically? This guy isn't a "techie," and to have to teach him how to go into Entourage--Tools--Accounts--Advanced and change server names each time he either plugs in to the work network or at home on his wi-fi would be painful, and sounds needless.

Or can a Mac, for some reason, NOT connect using Entourage 2004 to an Exchange Server over VPN?

--JBF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users