Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer (future Proof?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brokendream

brokendream

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hello,

I've been lookin around for the last few week's/month for a new computer and i think i've found one at dell, its the "Dimension E521" to me it seems to be good value for money, but is it ?

Specs are :
AMD Live! 5000+
2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x1024]
320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst cache
And
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
+ 19" flat panel monitor , all for 528 ($1,042)

I'd change the GPU to maybe a Geforce 8800 and get a new PSU

I'd be using for gaming.
My questions are, is the amd going to last awhile e.g. are they going to be bring out any new or new socket type ?
Is the AMD on par with intel core 2 duo ?
and in total it would cost me about 767 ($1534) inc. the GPU & PSU, Is that good value for what im getting ?

Thxs for any Info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:09 PM

Well, AMD is planning it's lauch of next-gen hardware at the end of April. They plan to announce their GPUs as well as future plans for processors/sockets. So by mid to late May we will probably see price competition driving prices down, as well as a firm statement on upgradeability. Personally, I am waiting until then. It is also probable that more drivers will be created for Vista as well, making future compatibility more feasible.

As for the computer....

Does it come with an optical drive?

What OS does it come with?

The processor is actually an AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+. No, it is really not on par with Core 2 Duo as far as clock speed and overclock stability. Also, AMD has yet to truly commit to the AM2 socket. Intel has commited to the LGA 775, which will prompt AMD to do the same. :thumbsup:

The RAM is ok. But you are going to see mobo's (motherboards) coming out that support higher speed RAM; in fact they are already here (1066 MHz).

Also, what size is the mobo? ATX, Micro-ATX, BTX? If you want to put a next-gen GPU into the PC, you might be cramped for room. They often take two expansion slots. Plus, you want to consider case air flow and cooling, which are vital to a gaming PC. You can buy a great case, with good airflow, for $50 US.

Regarding the PSU, I have heard of Dell being quite proprietary towards what PSU's will fit and function with their set-ups. :huh:

All in all, it's not a bad rig. But if you are going to want to upgrade it and turn it into a gamer, you may want to wait and build it yourself. Consider that nVidia is going to come out with less expensive GPU's at around the same time AMD announces its lineup (we're talking good cards for $150-200). For $1500 US you can put together a nice gaming rig, that has only the things you want and nothing more. Plus, you know the quality of the parts in your system. Remember, 2 most important things: Cooling and Power Supply.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
bg04
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

I don't want to start any sort of feud here, so I'll try to choose my words carefully:

From my experience, Dell computers are well built and relatively dependable, however, I rarely see them as "price competitive" once I match specs with custom built systems.

Moreover, there's no PC you can buy today that is really "future proof", so don't beat yourself up over that. Determine the most you are willing to pay for a system, and then work out what you believe is the best bang for that buck, and be happy with your new system.

One word regarding gaming - DirectX 10. (OK, that was a word and a number. Sorry.) If DX10 is something that you feel will have an impact on your gaming experience, you might want to consider buying what you deem an "acceptable" video card now (and applying the cost difference to other system components) and upgrade to a DX10 capable card when the gaming community begins to embrace DX10, something that may not happen until '08. Just a suggestion.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:06 AM

If you're looking to "future proof" your system, I would avoid any of the major pre-built computers. The reason behind this is that the major manufacturer's generally use at least some parts that aren't easily upgradeable.

Building a computer from "standardized" parts lets you preserve the ability to upgrade as the technology improves. It's not a "forever" solution, but it'll at least delay the time between new systems. And, you'll still be able to use some of the components in a new system - so that'll offset the cost. FWIW - I still use a floppy drive from an old PackardBell Pentium (100 mHz processor) that I bought in 1995 (as Win95 debuted).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users