Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Run Hijackthis And Related Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 haganjp

haganjp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:53 AM

Hi All,

I am using Windows XP/Home Edition.

My problem is this;

1. HijackThis gets shut down everytime I try to open it.
2. If I go into the directory where HijackThis exists, my Windows Explore window gets shut down.
3. If I do a Google Search on HijackThis, my Internet Explorer window shuts down.

I think the same problem exists when I try to access CWShredder.

I've done most of the steps mentioned in the Preparation Guide, including;

1. removed all temp files, temp internet files, recycle bin files.
2. ran Ad-Aware SE
3. ran Spybot S&D
4. ran Housecall Anti-Virus
5. ran Norton Anti-Virus
6. ran PepiMK's Smartware Killer (nothing found)
7. installed all the latest Windows security updates (always was up to date)
8. ran Registry Cleaner

In all the virus/malware scan results, nothing seemed too out of the ordinary. I took the necessary steps to remove all items found. After all that, the problem still persists. I ran many of the applications above with the computer in Safe Mode. I also did a System Restore with the earliest restore date that I could get to. Still no luck.

I am currently at a loss on how to proceed. My next step is to reformat the drives (2 hard drives) and reinstall the whole operating system. I'll download most of my user files to an external hard drive, however, I am concerned that whatever problem that exists on the system will transfer onto the external drive.

The computer, in general, works fine. It has slowed downed considerably over the last several months (mostly Internet Explorer use), but not to the point of not being able to accomplish anything.

Anyway, looking for ideas on how to proceed next.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

Regards,
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:05 PM

You may have to delete your existing Hijack This and download again. Before installing, right click .exe file and rename.
Scroll down to instruction #9 in the link below. It will install in the proper location and is self extracting.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
If you have a problem getting HijackThis to run, try renaming it to something else like "myscan". If needed you can also change the .EXE to .BAT, .COM, .PIF, or .SCR. All all are valid for renaming it.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

Could you be more specific? Do you get any error messages? Does HJT run and freeze, does it not run at all or does it run and then close suddenly?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 haganjp

haganjp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

To be more specific,

1. I don't get any error messages.
2. If I go into the directory where the HijackThis executable is located, my Windows Explorer (not IE) window gets closed within a few seconds. If I try to reenter the directory again, the window gets shut down in even less time.
3. If I double-click on HijackThis (within the few seconds I have before the Explorer window shuts-down), the program opens up and then gets shut down. No error messages.
4. If I do a Google Search on HijackThis, my Internet Explorer window gets shutdown.
5. If I open a Word document with the hyperlink to HijackThis in it, my Word document gets shutdown.

The same comments hold true when I try to access CWShredder.

Note that I have been able to run HijackThis in the past.

Jim

#5 dantes

dantes

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:53 AM

Hi Jim,

I know what ur going through as i suffer the same.
the Virus infecting ur pc is called Avkiller.agent.c (might be .A, .B and so on...).
this virus targets HJT, AVG and other antivirus softwares. it of course goes along with other trojans that download themselves onto ur computer.

i'm trying to find a solution as well, i haven't recovered my pc yet.
u should try scanning ur pc with Bit defender and panda. thats a good start to identify the file name and location of the infection. then post the logs here or on HJT analysis forum.

i suspect u will find a file named HJThis101.dll on ur windows' system32 folder, as i did, plus some other trojans.

u can check out my post and the recommended solution they gave me on this link :
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87003/infected-by-trojan-downloaderwin32delfpa-trojanstwoyle-avkillerc-and-more/

u might not be able to open the link from ur computer, due to the virus, so i suggest u try of a diff pc.

hope it helps,

Dan

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

There are a several malware variants that target Hijackthis and other security programs. Doing a few online scans might help but you should not follow specific instructions provided by an expert who is assisting someone else. Instructions provided to victims in the HJT forum have been posted by a forum staff expert to fix that particular members problems, NOT YOURS. Ignoring this warning and using someone else's fix instructions could lead to serious problems with your operating system.

With that said and since you cannot access your current Hijackthis folder due to Explorer closing, can you redownload Hijackthis from here, save to your desktop and rename it immediately to Analyze.exe. Double-click on Analyze.exe (which is still hijackthis) to run the program. If needed change the .exe to something else such as .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr.

You could also try saving it from another computer to a usb stick, rename it there and then transfer to your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 dantes

dantes

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:00 AM

Important tip for YOU !

i have managed to to overcome that virus ( at least the main problem ) by using Avast anti virus scanner.
it allows me now to use HJT and analyse the scan log.

i don't have the link for downloading it, i came across it while going through some of the manuals here.
just search for Avast.

best of luck,

Dan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users