Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time On Vista.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WanderZ

WanderZ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:31 AM

Hello. I'm new here, but thats not a question.
I'm going to get a vista oriented laptop.
I was wondering,
What should be the first things i do?
I didn't know where is the place i should post this so i decided to post it here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

Hello,
I would recommend installing the following before doing anything else:

- Avast Antivirus
- PC Tools Firewall Plus
-Advanced Spyware Remover

These 3 programs are essential on Vista. You need an antivirus, firewall, and an antispyware program on your new laptop.

Good luck!

Edited by KoanYorel, 06 April 2007 - 12:39 PM.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

The firewall isn't really needed as Vista contains a firewall that is on par with most retail firewalls. Also, Windows Defender is included so you don't really need a spyware program. If you prefer using a retail firewall or spyware program, go ahead, there won't be any conflicts. An antivirus program, however, is essential. I like Kaspersky Anti-virus but Avast is good as well, no antivirus is perfect. The next thing you should do with Vista is run Windows Update to patch any holes or problems that may exist.

3939.png

#4 WanderZ

WanderZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

no tweaks.....right?
Those are good thanks!

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

If you want tips on 'customizing', look at this link:
http://www.winhelponline.com/categories/Wi...ista/Customize/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 WanderZ

WanderZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

My friend showed me his firefox on vista which happens to have a lot of problems with the addons even though its a newly bought laptop. the addons disappear a few minutes after you downloaded them, viewing through all-in-one sidebar. the only thing shown is something called talkback, which didn't work, neither did he install it.
After uninstalling and reinstalling, the samething keep happening.
Is there a way to stop the removal of those addons.
because after they disappear installing another addon is not possible.

#7 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

AVG Free is recommended by Maxium PC and has worked very well for me. I had Spyware Doctor on my machine for about a month but now whenever I try to reinstall I am getting nothing but errors. Possible that it is conflicting with another program so I took it off. Everything I have read states that you still need a more feature rich Firewall. Zone Alarm Pro is in Beta now but has served me well over the years. I am just using Windows for now but will use Zone Alarm Pro when it is ready.

Enoy your new computer. I think Vista is amazing. Dual booting now but won't be long and I'll dump XP. Much more stable (unless you do something yourself like I did!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users