Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forcing Cpu On Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fremder

Fremder

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

When I start a program that requires a lot of CPU such as Steam, I notice it takes awhile (when I say awhile, I mean a long time) for it to start. I look at it in the Windows Task Manager and in Applications Tab it says its running, but when I go to the Processes Tab it has 0 CPU and the System Idle Process has 99 CPU and it stays like that for a long time. I was wondering is there a way that I can force CPU away from System Idle Process and give the CPU to another program?
You will not like me if I'm angry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:31 AM

System Idle Process being at 99 % is a good thing. This means your only using 1 % of your available resources, also you can set process priority by right clicking the process and selecting Set Priority. See attachment.

Set Priority
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:46 PM

I tried that, it doesn't help. Isn't there a way to make the process of opening a program faster and having 99 CPU isn't a good thing when you can't use it.

#4 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

I tried that, it doesn't help. Isn't there a way to make the process of opening a program faster and having 99 CPU isn't a good thing when you can't use it.

Ok so your running Windows XP, right? How much RAM (Random Access Memory)? How big is your hard drive and how much free space do you have available? What Cpu do you have on the computer?
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#5 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:07 PM

Ok so your running Windows XP, right? How much RAM (Random Access Memory)? How big is your hard drive and how much free space do you have available? What Cpu do you have on the computer?

Yes; 1014MB RAM; 92.9 GB; 56 GB; Genuine Intel® CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz (2 CPUs) in that order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users