Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macromedia Flashplayer 5.0.42.0

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

As you guys/gals will already know Adobe bought out Macromedia. I have a machine that still has the Topic Title FlashPlayer installed and located at:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\SWFlash.ocx

I have gone in an knobbled this player by renaming it NoSWFlash.ocx so it won't run, but I would still like to get it off the system entirely.

Secunia Scan results still give out a link to Macromedia to obtain removal instructions for this player. Clicking the link eventually takes one to Adobe. I have gone through the Adobe site's FlashPlayer removal instructions and for the life of me I cannot see one for removing this little insecure 'boat anchor', or any other Macromedia FlashPlayer.

So if you know where I can find instructions to remove or just happen to 'know' exactly what to do please pass the info along.

As old computers come out of closets and get fired up for new nostalgic life we will likely see this happen again I think.

All the Best.... GRJ :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,987 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

The macromedia flashplayer uninstalls from the Add/Remove program. After that, when you run the secunia scan it gives you the file path for every location of flash. Simply migrate to the location(s) and right click and delete. The files you deleted should now be in the recycle bin. After you have used the comp for a bit and determined you haven't accidentally deleted a file you need, you can delete them from the recycle bin.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

The macromedia flashplayer uninstalls from the Add/Remove program. After that, when you run the secunia scan it gives you the file path for every location of flash. Simply migrate to the location(s) and right click and delete....

Righto... sort of what I was thinking except there is no entry for the player in Control Panel > Add/Remove, which left me wondering as to why not? Oh well, such is life. Thanks. GRJ...

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:23 AM

I would hunt around on the internet to see if you can download the installation file for Macromedia Flashplayer 5.0.42.0. If you find it, install it and then remove it using Add/Remove Programs.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users