Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! MS Word 200 & "read only" files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pschaefphd

pschaefphd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hi All,

My computer is running windows 98 and ms word 2000. Something has happened so that all the documents are in the "read only" mode and I can't undo this. Any advice to make it return to the normal mode?? Thanks.

Peter Schaeffer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:07 PM

Are the documents stored locally on your computer or on another computer that you access via the network?

#3 pschaefphd

pschaefphd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:40 PM

no network involved--just the one bleeping computer.

peter schaeffer

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:53 PM

Do you have any flash cards, usb drives, or other storage thats not ide? Also take out any cdroms or dvds and see if that makes a difference

#5 pschaefphd

pschaefphd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:40 AM

:thumbsup: got my brother-in-law to look at it. he went into "my documents" and showed me that they all had (for no reason i can understand) a box checked that made them "read only". apparently the program did this when the computer went down in mid-wordprocessing moment. he selected all and removed the check from the box, and all is back to normal. thanks.

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:26 PM

Hope this is somewhat on topic. Similar happened to me after a System Restore. I had burned all of my documents, jpg's, and mp3's as backups and reloaded them without incident, except all had changed to "Read Only". First discovered problem when I wasn't "allowed" to change some music tags. Finally figured it out and fixed it, but curious why this happened in the first place. :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:24 PM

Hi twinsdad

When you burn something to a CD it becomes read only because thats exactly what it is. You can't open a file that your reading from a CD and expect to make any changes to it because you would have to re-burn that file in the place it is in to record the changes. Thats what read only means. No changes. If you copy the file back to your hard drive you can remove the read only attribute, but it doesn't happen automatically.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Leurgy, 13 January 2005 - 09:32 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users