Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Pc Still Safe ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shred1970

shred1970

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:25 AM

I am quite the "novice" using a pc compared to to you guys, therefore I do have a few questions about Comodo firewall. When I installed it ( following recommended installation and settings ) and rebooted I had alerts telling me that symantic maybe using another server to connect to the internet also I'm getting a new window comming up to prompt me to connect to the internet which looks different from the usual display I get when I first dial up to connect. Comodo has warned me that these other "servers" can be used to infiltrate other programs and apps on my pc.I was wondering if you had any recommendations or advice on the configuration of Comodo and if maybe some of my programs have indeed been infected by previous infections that I've had. EG. I had Vundo trojan and of course smittoolbarr 888 which you gratefully helped me to eliminate.

I'm curruntly using these programs for security. My system is windows xp home edition with service pack 2

Norton anti virus 2005 ( updated and working )
Spybot search and destroy (with tea timer)
Adaware Se Professional with Ad-watch Se professional
AVG anti spyware
Spyware Blaster
Comodo firewall
Fixes are as follows....

Tune up utilities 2006
Smitfraud fix
Combo fix
VirtumundoBeGone
VunduFix
.... and of course HijackThis

The smaller window that comes up to prompt me to connect to the internet is worrysome, it looks suspicious.
Any help is much appreciated
" Those who wander from the way of understanding will surely rest in the assembly of the dead." - Author unknown.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:32 AM

With these kinds of warnings it is important to look at what is trying to connect to the internet. For example, when is says that Symantic is trying to connect to the internet this is just your anti-virus trying to update. You need to be concerned when unknown applications try to connect to the internet.

If you're still unsure, copy down the entire warning message and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:59 AM

Thanks Budapest for your quick reply , at least you have given me somewhere to start :thumbsup:
" Those who wander from the way of understanding will surely rest in the assembly of the dead." - Author unknown.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:02 AM

During the "teaching" phase of using a firewall, it will bombard the user with popups (sometimes called warnings) requesting permission for a particular instance of internet connexion. This is how the firewall learns what is permitted.
Now Comodo will give you two choices: either to allow an application one time access, or to allow an application permanent access (the latter will eliminate any further request unless something about the application has changed (say, for example, it has updated).
Most of the time, Comodo will provide the "teacher" with the name of the application or programme requesting access. If it is your browser, for example, and you have just launched it, then you may safely allow permanent access. Ask yourself whether something you have done has triggered the request (for example, opened a programme), or whether the application would need to check for updates (you may have elected to have it automatically do this). If so, you can then either allow it one time, or permanently.
Be very suspicious, though, of something that just pops up and requests access, especially if you do not know the programme, or you are not using it. You have two options: either allow it once or deny it. If you choose the latter option, and later something doesn't work, then you can always change permission in the Application Monitor (which lists current "policy" by .exe file).
Naturally if you have a specific question, don't hesitate to post about it here at BC, and provide the information shown on the popup.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users