Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Does Av Software Let Viruses In?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:51 AM

I've got Trend Micro Pc-cillin Internet Security 14, and a few months ago I accidently got smitfraud on my computer, but Trend couldn't do anything about it! As far as all the virus, spyware etc. scans were concerned, I was clean. Yet I had a changed home page and unwanted toolbar. What's up with that? I thought professional AV software was supposed to be good. Don't get me wrong, it's essential for stopping viruses from spreading once they infect your comp, but it doesn't work well in removing the infection.

So I was just wondering why this is. Feel free to give your opinions, thanks.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:13 AM

Smitfraud may be classified as sypware, therefore your AV might not detect it; if it cannot detect it, it cannot remove it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:30 AM

Possibly, except my Trend program has virus and spyware scans, and I naturally did both as well as a full scan. It was annoying that it couldn't do anything about it, even though its getting updates all the time. I'm thinking its because these programs weren't designed to go in depth scanning, that if you want to, you have to get special programs, such as from here.

And I just downloaded spybot and ad-aware se and ran scans on both of them, and they found things which my Trend program, that I pay for, can't even detect. Why is this?

Edited by solaris32, 06 April 2007 - 06:32 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:45 AM

There is as yet, no universally accepted criteria for what constitutes spy/adware; consequently, each company's application will look for---and find---a slightly different set. That is why one needs to use several anti-spyware applications: each will find things the others miss.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:57 AM

To elaborate on what jgweed has already stated. No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new malware infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a layered defense using several products to supplement your anti-virus and scanning in "safe mode" provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks guys :thumbsup:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users