Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive Won't Detect

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Geo Turtle

Geo Turtle

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:28 AM

I'm trying to replace my old primary harddrive. Here's the issue:

Here's my harddrive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822152052

The jumper is set to the first one under "Master" on this page (Master in lower 32GB, capacity < 32 GB - #A & :flowers::
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDr...ersguide_02.htm

I'm using an old $40 AMD motherboard because my real motherboard left me, tragically: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16813185057

Spindle is spinning... so it seems functional.
BIOS doesn't detect it using CMOS setup utility American Megatrends v2.54.
Tried loading optomized defaults. In the drive utility of CMOS it doesn't mention the drive as detected anywhere, although it does mention it under advanced set-up under boot items.
Windows XP CD doesn't detect it.
When I tried to format it using the Ultimate Boot Disk, the drive was not recognized.

Tried different SATA cables, tried jumpers with Cable Select, and it did detect but ONLY as a boot device in advanced and not as an available drive.

After looking back at the reviews for this motherboard, some of them did mention problems with SATA drivers.

So I got the IDE drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website here: ( http://www.pcchipsusa.com/download-mainframe.asp ). They're way over floppy size so they're on a cd. Now I have the problem that I can't actually apply these to that computer because while it recognizes my cd drives in CMOS it doesn't recognize them in Ultimate Boot Disk's DOS utilities.

Any ideas? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

Your harddrive is a different SATA than whats compatible with the motherboard. Unfortunately, the only option I can see is return that harddrive and either get a SATA 1.5GB/s or an IDE harddrive. If you just got the harddrive, newegg will accept a return from you. Other than that, I don't see any other option.

I found this harddrive, its 10 bucks less, but also 100GBs less. It might be a little slower being as its IDE, but it also has 16MB cache, so it shouldn't be TOO much slower.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148137
If anything goes wrong with the that drive, it has a 5-year manufacturer warranty, which is always good.

PS: Welcome to BC :thumbsup:

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 Geo Turtle

Geo Turtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:36 PM

Argh! That's what I was worried about. If I were to replace the motherboard (since it was only $40) what do I need to look for to make sure it's compatible?

And thank you for the welcome and for the advice. :thumbsup:

Edited by Geo Turtle, 06 April 2007 - 12:39 PM.

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

Well obviously, you need right CPU socket, but you already knew that. Make sure it has SATA 3GB/s compatible, and check the reviews to be sure it hasn't had any issues. I found only two motherboards on newegg that were microATX (which im assuming yours is, cause the motherboard you showed me was), socket 754 (which I also gathered from the old motherboard), and a compatible SATA port. The only thing, is that it doesn't have an AGP slot. So I hope you don't use an AGP card, otherwise youll need to also get a PCI-express or PCI video card, being as those are the only available slots.

This one is 50 bucks plus shipping and seems a better deal to me and has a faster FSB than this one thats 47 bucks plus shipping. The 50 dollar one also has better reviews.

If you do need a new video card and your on a tight budget, I recommend this one. It's $37 without shipping and unless your doing serious gaming or something graphically intensive, that should be fine.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#5 Geo Turtle

Geo Turtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:06 AM

Does it matter if it's micro ATX or just ATX? Is that dependant on the processor?

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

Thats dependant on your case. ATX and microATX are the form factors of the case. There's many different types, but these are the most common. These are microATX cases and these are ATX cases. The microATX are much smaller than ATX (duh, :thumbsup: ). The ATX are just normal sized cases. If you have a normal case, there are other motherboards that have your CPU socket type and SATA 3GB/s, but again they don't have AGP slots, only PCI and PCI-Express. It a good idea though to make sure which form factor your case is cause if you buy a ATX motherboard and your case is microATX, it won't fit. If this is your own build, check with where ever you bought your case to see what it is.

#7 Geo Turtle

Geo Turtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:26 PM

Wow, TheYoda, that was incredibly helpful. Thank you so much. :thumbsup:

I have an ATX case, so I'm going to get one of these boards that you linked me to. I'm currently using a PCI video card, but I'm about to upgrade that to another PCI or PCI express card. Pretty much I just need to make this computer last til September so I can afford to build a brand new computer.

Hopefully next week when this motherboard arrives, I can rest easy and prepare to get back to my games for the summer. So thank you again - I very much appreciate the advice and the helpful explanations. :flowers:

#8 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:12 PM

If you order them tonight, you'll get them probably Tuesday, newegg ships FAST. I order a new video card last Friday and it came Monday, it was awesome. It also depends on where it shipped from, but generally, its really fast.

And don't worry about it, I'm glad I could help out. If you ever need anything, these forums are always open or if its something else, you can always PM me. Glad to of helped out :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users