Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Wipe My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:26 PM

Hello.
I am about to wipe my computer. Then reinstall windows Xp again.
I have my XP CD, drivers for printer, scanner, mouse, keyboard.
What else do I need to do to ensure this is a smooth process?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

Are you going to Wipe or Format your computer? There is a difference.
Did you backup your Browser bookmark\favorites? Did you backup your email client's settings (Outlook, Thunderbird,..)? Did you backup your Chat client's settings? These will take time to recofigure. Especially essage Rules in the email clients.

Just a thought.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:51 AM

Wwejosh,
There is a free program called Darrik's Boot & Nuke. What you do is download the program onto a floppy and boot from the floppy drive. The program then erases all information (drivers, programs, hard-drives, etc.) The link is below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/

Hope this helps,
Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

Acklan is right, reformatting the hdd doesn't erase the data on the disc it only erases the address tables. Wiping the drive with a utility like Drive Wipe or Active@Kill Disk will completely overwrite the disc making it unreadable to most people. It is currently believed that in order to make the data irretrievable from the disc it needs to be burned with a oxyacetylene torch, I personally want to try a sawzall.

I further agree with Acklan's advice regarding backing up information. When I download software the icon for the product will show up on the desktop to install the program, after the program has been installed the proper icon for the program will appear. Afterwards you can move the install icon and its information to My Documents where you can retrieve this to save to a CD or DVD. I will back up that information along with the important files that I want to save. This also will save time after you reinstall the OS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

Yep. I backup bookmarks, Outlook Express, and my registry every week. Been doing so since '98. If you use a multi-session CD\DVD you can get all the information on 1 track and 99 tracks per CD.

I like a multi-Utility called Digital Dolly 1.0. It has a dozen+ feature and runs fron the CD. Boot &nuke and KillDisk are excellent programs. I have used both, I just prefer Digital Dolly 1.0

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:19 AM

In addition to backing up settings for an email client, if you use one, back up any messages you don't want to lose. Also back up your address book. These will be lost if you don't.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:20 AM

Also take a look at how to Clean Install XP

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:08 PM

Hello.
I am about to wipe my computer. Then reinstall windows Xp again.
I have my XP CD, drivers for printer, scanner, mouse, keyboard.
What else do I need to do to ensure this is a smooth process?

Thank you.

What brand/model computer is it? It may require specific drivers, too.

I believe this program Drive Guide Toolkit will allow you to backup all the drivers you currently have installed on that system. You might have drivers, or more current drivers, for items other than those you've listed above.

Does your XP CD include SP2? If not, you should download SP2 and copy it to a CD so you can install it. You can do something called "slipstreaming" to give yourself an updated copy of XP to install, but that may be more time consuming than it's worth if you are only going to do this once.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

It is currently believed that in order to make the data irretrievable from the disc it needs to be burned with a oxyacetylene torch, I personally want to try a sawzall.

if we have a drive here at the shop that is unrecoverable, and the owner doesn't want it back, we give them to the bosses son along with a sledgehammer :thumbsup: he enjoys it. Also, taking off the cover and shooting out the spindle (.223 @ ~75 yards) is great fun too

Edited by twardnw, 06 April 2007 - 04:24 PM.

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

Ah,

this program - Win Drivers Backup - should backup those drivers, and it is free.

#11 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

Hi, thanks guys for your great response.

The situation I am in is I have to hard disks installed in my computer. The old one is 18gb and the newly installed one is 180gb. The hard disk that Xp is installed on (18gb) only has 200mb of remaining space. So what I planned on doing was backing up important files on to disk, and reinstalling XP on the 180gb hard disk.

What things do I need to do and how do I do them?
Is there any programs that I can use to make this process as smooth as possible (used before)?

Thanks guys once again, help is greatly appreciated.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:06 AM

Actually you have a pretty situation. If I were you I would set the old drive as a SLAVE and the new drive as MASTER as install XP on the new drive. Load it with XP then immediately load your favorite antivirus, I use AVG, the SP 2. Follow up with IE6a upgrade, and all your patches.
When the security updates are finished simple drag & drop your files from the old drive to the new drive. Just open up parallel My Computer windows and move the entire folder your data is in to the same spot on the new drive. When you are sure you have everything transferred then wipe the second drive and you can use it for secondary storage.

#13 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

acklan -

That's assuming that the larger drive doesn't have stored data that must be backed up, too.

Otherwise, I agree, that's the way I'd suggest, too.

#14 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hi.
Ok I think I get you Acklan. So what your saying is once I have installed Windows XP onto the new drive, for example I could overwrite the program files folder on the new drive with the old drives program folder? Saving lots of time on reinstalling programs. So which folders could I overwrite on the new drive without problems?

Any Ideas on a free program that has been tested that I can use to/help backup my drivers?

Thanks guys.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:47 PM

Hi.
Ok I think I get you Acklan. So what your saying is once I have installed Windows XP onto the new drive, for example I could overwrite the program files folder on the new drive with the old drives program folder? Saving lots of time on reinstalling programs. So which folders could I overwrite on the new drive without problems?

Any Ideas on a free program that has been tested that I can use to/help backup my drivers?

Thanks guys.

No. You have to re-install your programs. The programs are intergrated into Windows and must be installed. I was simple referring to the data files, pictures, MP3, saved work like Excel and Word documents. These are generally keep in a common file like My Documents.

I have never used such a program to recover drivers. I have always burned my drivers for a computer to a common CD so I have it available in case of a clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users