Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

Howdy,

I have a friend who is trying to use system restore. When he picks a date a window keeps coming up that says that the system cannot be restored to that date. He has tried 5 or 6 dates with no luck.

Can anyone please solve this ?

Thank You for your time,

Dennis :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:33 PM

hello
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm have a look at number 278

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the reply nigglesnush85.

I passed the information on.

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 06 April 2007 - 05:21 PM.

#4 wguru

wguru

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

What's to read?? Maybe I've missed something on the link's site, but clicking on 278 results in nothing but a download executable (that few will ever blindly run).

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,583 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:12 AM

What's to read?? Maybe I've missed something on the link's site, but clicking on 278 results in nothing but a download executable (that few will ever blindly run).

That's not an executable, but a reg file. It will restore the registry setting for system restore if those entries have become corrupted or removed, for example by malware. If you notice the title of the site, that is what it is all about--Registry Edits. Kelly is an MSMVP and knows what he is doing and his reg tweaks have helped innumerable people and he's trusted by those "in the know".

One may have to right click the link and save link or target as, to download the file--then double-click it and allow it to merge with the registry.

This may not be the solution to this particular problem however. The most common reason for Restore points not working is because one of the files in the restore point or the whole restore point itself has become corrupt. To keep restore points small, they are done incrementally, so all subsequent restore points created after a corrupted one will not work.

So the first thing to try is going back to older restore points. If the oldest available still doesn't work, then you have no working restore points--they're all corrupted--and, unfortunately, the only way to fix that is to delete them all. This is done by disabling , then re-enabling System Restore. Instructions can be found here: Windows XP System Restore Guide.

Obviously, you won't be able to use SR to fix whatever the original problem was, but you will get System Restore back if it is corrupt RP's. So before you do that you may want to check the following article: Troubleshoot System Restore “Restore Point Failures” in Windows XP

I've had this happen to me and purging RP's gave me System Restore back--just had to find another way to solve the problem.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users