Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Input Signal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wahatoya

wahatoya

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:33 AM

Well it's finally happened. Went to do some work, turned on the monitor and all I am getting is a floating box saying "no input signal" Turned the computer off then on again, same thing. This is a cheap Pent. II with MS 2000 that I bought 3 years ago from a guy down the road. When I first got it home I had this same problem. Since I live on a dirt road he said you probably knocked the processor loose. Sure enough I pushed it back in and all was well as it has been until last night. I took out the cable and put it back in. Took off the case and blew it all out. Processor was pretty warm, since I leave the thing on all the time, but the fan was running. It has always had a problem shutting off so I have always used my main power switch to turn it off after shutting down. Anyhow it has power, makes a few whirlling sounds but won't start up. Of course I have no disks to restart with.
Any help out there? I hope so. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:41 AM

If you're still getting power to the computer, it could be that the motherboard is fried. Are you getting any kind of display on your monitor? If you're getting nothing and then the computer is turning off every time you start it up, then I think you have a motherboard problem.
Tacos. That is all you ever need know.

My Development Blog

#3 wahatoya

wahatoya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. The only thing I am getting on my screen is "No Signal Input". If I do need another motherboard would it be possible to upgrade to a faster processor then?

#4 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:43 PM

If you're not getting any kind of signal from the on-board video, then it could be a few things. Replacing the processor is not really an option until you find out exactly where the problem is. It could be the processor, motherboard, or memory. The only way to determine that is to test the system with a part that works at each position (new processor, then new motherboard, then new memory).

Because the system is older, I'm not sure where you would be able to find parts for it unless you take it to a computer store to see if they have any older parts that your system could use. It's kinda hard to do this yourself if you're not familiar with hardware.

As far as suggestions on what to do, I'm not too sure what you can do other than find a computer store and ask if they could check it out for you.

Sorry I couldn't help you more

My Development Blog

#5 wahatoya

wahatoya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:18 PM

If you're not getting any kind of signal from the on-board video, then it could be a few things. Replacing the processor is not really an option until you find out exactly where the problem is. It could be the processor, motherboard, or memory. The only way to determine that is to test the system with a part that works at each position (new processor, then new motherboard, then new memory).

Because the system is older, I'm not sure where you would be able to find parts for it unless you take it to a computer store to see if they have any older parts that your system could use. It's kinda hard to do this yourself if you're not familiar with hardware.

As far as suggestions on what to do, I'm not too sure what you can do other than find a computer store and ask if they could check it out for you.

Sorry I couldn't help you more

Thanks for all your help. Last night I put on my "stronger" glasses and noticed that there is a pin missing in my monitor cable. Would one little missing pin keep me from getting a signal? Also I see that the cable is hard wired to my monitor. Does this mean that I will have to buy a monitor or could I replace the cable myself by taking apart the monitor?

#6 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:35 PM

That could definately be the problem. I'm not very familiar with replacing video cables on a monitor, but if it's an older monitor, you might be better off looking for a new one. I'd weight the options: buying a new monitor vs. replacing the cable vs. new complete system (computer and monitor, etc...).

If you're planning on getting a new computer anytime in the near future, most times when you get a new computer from a Dell or HP, they usually bundle a new monitor with it.

Hope this helps

My Development Blog

#7 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:18 PM

If you are considering taking the computer into the repair place, it may not be a bad idea to take the monitor with you. They might be able to tell you which of the pieces need to be replaced and how much it would cost.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#8 maguilart

maguilart

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:10 AM

Hi...

I just had this problem with my computer and I really cant think of something...

I was working on it, and all of the sudden the screen will go black, I turned it off, it started rebooting and then when it was trying to load windows, it will just say "No signal Input", which is weird cause it would obviously have signal since it works good only until it starts loading the OS...

Any ideas???

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:34 AM

maguilart - You would probably do better to start your own thread, but anyway I have a couple of ideas:

See if your screen will stay on if you start in safe mode. If it does then your video drivers are probably corrupted and need to be re-installed OR if you have a plug in video card it may be loose. If the same thing happens in safe mode then its strange but I suppose you will have to replace your video card.

If you have a plug-in video card (graphics adaptor or GPU) then here is a step by step to reseat it:
  • Shutdown and switch off but do not remove the power cord.
  • Take off the cover.
  • Hold on to a metal part of the case as often as you can during the entire process.
  • Undo the screw holding the video card in place and unplug it.
  • If there is a lot of dust around use a can of compressed air to blow out the card slot.
  • If the edge connectors of the card look tarnished clean them lightly with a pencil erasor.
  • Firmly plug the card back in and secure it with the screw.
  • Put the case cover back on.
  • Check in the end of the monitor cable that there are no broken or bent pins (some pins are missing - that is normal).
  • Connect the monitor and reboot.
hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 maguilart

maguilart

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

Thanks Rimmer,

The weird thing is that the monitor will always stay on, it never makes it to safe mode cause as soon as it starts loading, it would say "No Signal Input" and then reboot itself...

Gonna try the VideoCard Reset... Hope it works... :thumbsup:

Thanks,

#11 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:55 PM

Dear Mag,

If you are seeing a response on your monitor then most likely it is not your video card.

If you are seeing a "No Signal input" you are having major issues with your CPU or motherboard.

They could be bad or something you added could cause this also.

Do both of you (Under and Mag) hear the fan turn on and stay on?

Have you replaced the temporary CPU fan that came with the computer?

Under, re-seat your CPU using ESD standards and be careful putting the heat-sink on. Replace the CPU fan.

Mag, have you added anything to your computer? Have you moved it or did it fall?
Your CPU will fail if you don't have the proper cooling. Do the same as the above if necessary.

Also, both of you check your cables for proper connection.

CPU's can take quite a beating usually but all the other components don't. Very rarely have I seen a CPU just fail unless other items fail.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users