Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Cables

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tmm5899

tmm5899

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

a friend disconnected the cables to the hard drive cd rom and floppy drive and put a cd burner in my computer i know nothing as to how to hook up the cables so my computer will work again my friend has since moved and computer places charge money which i do not have please help :thumbsup:

Edited by tmm5899, 05 April 2007 - 06:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

1)there should be 2 (or 3) ribbon cables .a wide one and a skinny one (relatively speaking but one is approx 2" wide and the other is approx 3" wide).

2)The skinnier one goes to the Floppy Drive and the wide one goes to the CD Drive. If you have 3 cables then the third one should goto the Hard Drive and for the most part is the same as the CD Drive cable

3)Both cables have an ear or tab on the top of the connector. the tab goes to the top of the disk drive.

4)If the wider cable (CD Drive) has 2 connectors on it use the connection at the end of the cable

5)Dont worry too much about screwing up. as long as you dont force the connection these cables will only connect one way.

6) In some oddball cases the hard Drive cable is used to connect the CD Drive

Posted Image

#3 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

can you show me a picture i need to know does one cable connect to each item or is it several cables can you email me (removed)so i know what i am doing :thumbsup:

~*Mod edit - removed e-mail address to prevent spambot abuse - rigel*~

Edited by rigel, 02 May 2007 - 07:58 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:11 AM

Here's your picture. You will notice that there is a red stripe on the right side, this is important because if you install the cable backward it will not work. You will also notice that the master and slave connectors are close to each other at one end, the other end goes to the motherboard.

As for the difference between the floppy and the IDE cable, simply put...the correct one will fit the proper device, the improper one will not.

Edited by dc3, 06 April 2007 - 05:14 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

what does the cable connect to i have a cd rom a cd burner and a hard drive and a floppy drive i am trying to connect the cables for each one can you help me send a picture and label waht the cable goes to from the mother board to the floppy another cable goes to the hard drive and the next cable goes to the cd burner things like this so i can understand

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

The floppy has it's own plug on the motherboard. If you look at it you will see it approx 1/4 shorter the the other ones. The hard drive should be by itself on IDE1 or primary. The CD and DVD drives should be on IDE2 or secondary. There are jumpers on each drive. The CD should be set to master and go on the end of the ribbon cable. The DVD jumper should be set to slave and plugged into the second connector of the same ribbon. The red mark on the ribbon cable denotes pin#1. Each motherboard layout is different so posting a picture where they go on the board would only confuse you more. Perhaps you can post back with the make and model of your computer
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:15 PM

it does not say what brand the computer is so if i connect the cables exactly like the picture it does not say which is the floppy and the hard drive and the cd burner and the cd rom can you send me a picture that labels each one so i know what i am doing i do not understand the terms or the types of cables :thumbsup:

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

Make and model of the computer your working on ?

Posted Image

#9 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:57 PM

it does not say on the front of computer i think someone rebuilt it and used a different case so i can't give you the name of computer :thumbsup:

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

I am assuming you have the cover off the computer. Look at the Motherboard (Where everything plugs in) and see if you see any names or combinations of letters and numbers. Post your findings and we can hopefully locate the type of motherboard you have. Another option is to take a digital picture with a camera and post the picture here.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

If you can't identify your motherboard by looking at it run Belarc Advisor. It will tell you what it is.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users