Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check Out This Scam I Got In The Mail

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deuce23

deuce23

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:01 PM

I got this letter and a check as stated in the letter but I don't recall ever participating in this sweepstake and although the check is real and doesn't have any attachments to it if I deposit it, I still find it a bit fishy. They even spelled coordinator with a zero and an "o" separated with a hyphen so I think it's a scam. Has anyone ever gotten this before?

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/957/saveuk2.gif
Daily Digest FreebieGossip --- AngryMidgetYo --- Sinfest --- Explosm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

List of names used in lottery scams

Rip Off Report: Royal Foundation Lotto Sent phony check for me to ...

FraudWatchers.Org - United British Lotto

AS FONEY AS CAN BE.. DON'T HAND OUT BANK ACCOUNT NUMMERS...

#3 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:07 AM

See also:

Email Lottery Scams

Email Spam

Use either of the two links below & perform a search to see if any emails of that nature have any truth to it.

SNOPES(Rumor Has It)

Truth or Fiction(Email Reality Check)

Edited by hillbillygreek, 06 April 2007 - 12:08 AM.

#4 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:23 PM

As they say, 'If something is too good to be true, it probably is!'

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:19 PM

Lets see....now I think I have had 5 of these things sent to me at the last count. The Nigeria scam was coming out of England, ws the last report. And thats it! It's all a scam.
MCP
MSDST

#6 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:30 AM

You should go to the address stated at the bottom of the letter and see what they are about.

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:15 AM

You should go to the address stated at the bottom of the letter and see what they are about.

I don't have to look for an address,'IDK'I know what it's about.Soloman and Sister wan't to improve their lifesyle at my expense.Like they say,"there's a sucker born every day"and that's why this spam will always be around.IMHO.
Check this one out,I recieved the other day.I cracked up at the Soloman and Sister part. :thumbsup:

Sent : Saturday, 31 March 2007 8:33:40 PM
To : Deleted by DSTM.
Subject : FROM SOLOMON AND SISTER

| | | Inbox

Attn: CEO

CONFIDENTIAL

I am Solomon Richmond the only son of late former Director of finance, Chief David Richmond Sierra-Leone diamond and mining corporation. I must confess my agitation is real, and my words is my bond, in this proposal. My late father diverted this money meant for purchase of ammunition, for my country, during the peak of disastrous civil war in my country, now he has deposited the money with BANK here in Abidjan,where I am residing under political Assylum with my younger sister.

Now the war in my country is over with the help of ECOMOG soldiers, the present government of Sierra Leone has revoked the passport of all officers who served under the former regime and now ask countries to expel such person at the same time freeze their account and confiscate their asset, it is on this note that I am contacting you, all I needed from you is to furnish me with your bank particulars:
1) Account name
2) Account number
3) Bank address, telephone and fax numbers
4) your private telephone /fax numbers

For you to assist me transfer this money in your private bank account, the said amount is (US$10.000.000 00 Million). I am compensating you with 15% of the total money amount, now all my hope is banked on you and I really wants to invest this money in your country, were their is stability of Government, political and economic welfare.

Honestly I want you to believe that this transaction is real and never a joke. My late father Chief David Richmond gave me the deposit slip issued to him by the Bank on the date of deposit, for you to be clarify because, I do not expose my self to anybody I see, I believe that you are able to keep this transaction secret for me because this money is the hope of my life, it is important.

Please write me immediately after you must have gone through my message fill free and make it urgent. That is the reason why I offered you 15% of the total money amount, and in case of any other necessary expenses you might incure, I am resolving to give you an addition of 5% during this transaction.

N.B Try and negotiate for me some profitable blue chip investment opportunities which is risk free which I can invest with this money when it is transferred to your account, personally I am interested in estate management and hotel business, please advise me. And promise me and my younger sister to be our guardian considering our situation and not to betray us.

And my late father used me the only son as the beneficiary / next of kin on the day of deposit and also told me I need an assistance of a foreigner with a legitimate bank Account abroad who will stand as co-beneficiary and partner abroad to ensure a successful hitch free transfer of the fund abroad.

Thanks and God bless
Yours truly
Solomon and Sister.

#8 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:36 AM

I dont know if anyone noticed, but they spelled 'organized' wrong in the last sentence of the first paragraph.

-Nick

#9 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:54 AM

:flowers: My, my, for such an illustrious background and family history it is a shame that they couldn't afford to give the poor thing a proper education. If his spelling,grammer and general lack of knowledge of the basics of creating a decent business letter,all that money you know, isn't bad enough the poor dear must be totally Sc$#@#d to think that anyone would be idiodic enough to buy that bull!! :thumbsup: If you're going to run a scam like that you'd better be a little better prepared and a whole looooooootttttt!! more convincing don't you think DSTM? Whoa, that is a dilly if ever I've seen one. The farther I read the funnier it got, my husband looked at me like I was crazier than usual until I told him about it & let him look at the letter.
When do you think you may be collecting your cut of the money by the way?? If you're feeling generous I could use a buck or two... :trumpet:
Hope you're doing well, nice to have you back, Iodine :inlove:
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users