Recently, two or three times a weird event happened. I tracked it down to this:
Outlook closed, not running. No apps running other than the firewall and whatever runs in the background normally.
I was on a website from which I needed to download a little file.
Next to the download link was a link to the author's mail.I clicked on that by mistake.
Now it all started:
- Outlook 2003
opened the new mail window, which I cancelled (x icon) and continued with the file download, and reading the site.
- Within seconds the computer went nuts.
- Since nothing (not even Outlook) was running, I decided to shut down.
- I couldn't because addinmon.exe could not close. It turns out there were many instances of it.
- Task manager took a long time to come up, utilization was 90-100%.
- In it were pairs of processes - outlook and this addinmon thing one after another.
- I believe they would be adding them ad infinitum had I not finally pulled the plug.
- I can't recall the other cause, but it also had to do with clicking on somebody's name to send mail and bailing out with x.
I never installed addinmon.exe and/or never saw it before.
I found this link on Googlehttp://www.microeye.com/resources/res_addinmon.asp
which pointed me to 2002
I don't understand any of it, nor what to do.
That last reference has a 3line VB routine, but I don't see where to put it.
I have XPhome sp 2, Microsoft Office professional 2003, which contains Outlook 2003
. Internet Explorer 6xxx I don't recall exact version. All patches up to date.
Please help, what am I to do?