Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Not Connecting To Desktop Workstation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tambralyn

tambralyn

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:44 PM

We have a Dell Inspiron 6400 in our office that is typically connected to my desktop through a Linksys wireless router. This laptop has been performing quite well until today. It is connecting to the router and the internet (e-mail's a bit slow, but it is connecting). However, it is not connecting to our printer, which is wire-connected to my desktop.

I tried deleting the printer from the list and adding back through the add printers wizard. However, when I go to search the network for the printer, it stalls at Microsoft Windows Network, and is not recognizing anything beyond there. I also tried going into My Network Places on the laptop, and it again recognizes nothing. The user says he has not installed or activated any new antivirus or firewalls, nor have I. This laptop was connecting fine on Monday. We also have another laptop in the office that is also connecting just fine, and of course my desktop is not having any issues either.

The laptop is loaded with Windows XP, and it has an IntelPro Wireless card.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: He took his McAfee Firewall down, and now he is able to print, but he's very uncomfortable not having a firewall up.

Edited by tambralyn, 05 April 2007 - 03:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

You'll have to configure McAfee to allow for printer sharing. I'm not familiar with McAfee at all. Do you still have your manual?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users