Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Can Not Load The Locally Stored Profile

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hacked0ff

Hacked0ff

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

Is my computer dead?? :trumpet:

After doing a normal clean up session (Ad-AwareSE, Spybot S+D, AVG, CCleaner & defrag), i rebooted my pc and got these messages appear on the blue windows screen;

"windows can not load the locally stored profile. Possible causes for this include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator."

Followed by

"Windows can not find local profile and is logging on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off."

Now, considering i'm supposed to be the network admin (rofl) i'm kinda stuffed :thumbsup:

i'm not sure what is or isn't working anymore, everything slow and all my data is locked away somewhere that i can't get to. It's taken me since last night to get firefox running again to log on here.
I also took a day off because i couldn't face yet more pc related stress levels at the moment. Life has enough of those as is.

Any suggestions most welcome (i'm close to reformatting the lot)

Oh yeah, and it keeps running scandisc when booting too
:flowers:

Edited by Hacked0ff, 05 April 2007 - 01:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

Try using System Restore back to a date before your clean-up session.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Hacked0ff

Hacked0ff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

Will try it now but i think the files are corrupt

#4 Hacked0ff

Hacked0ff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:32 AM

Well, i'm back.

Tried the restore option and had nothing but a black screen and the mouse visible.
Left it for 13 hours to see if it was just being slow but have ended up having to use my master disc to reinstall my c: drive. Now my hard drive is messier than ever :flowers:

Is there a way to locate and isolate/replace corrupted files? Or shall i just reformat d: :thumbsup:

I've now got a data drive full of old usernames with empty files that i don't really want to just delete (though tempted) and I've resigned myself to the fact that i'm probably going to lose all the data anyway (it's still in there somewhere @ the moment) although some bits can be accessed.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

You could try using the system file checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

You could also use a boot disk such as the UBCD to copy any important data off the drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Hacked0ff

Hacked0ff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:56 AM

All clear on the SFC.EXE, so that means my windows is fine (i guess).

Everything else must be my data. I know there's something not right in there but that's a different forum i assume. Looks like the profile's gone for good.

Thanks for your help Budapest.

Can close this thread if there's nothing else you think i may need to know (i am a bit of a noob) :flowers:

Time to browse around :thumbsup:

Edited by Hacked0ff, 06 April 2007 - 07:56 AM.

#7 wxwindmill

wxwindmill

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

Putting my main question at the top instead of hiding it at the bottom.....
Can I get help with the system restore (ie what am I doing wrong??) or should I just persue the consensus recommendation (ie redoing of the user profile)??

Is my computer dead?? :thumbsup:

After doing a normal clean up session (Ad-AwareSE, Spybot S+D, AVG, CCleaner & defrag), i rebooted my pc and got these messages appear on the blue windows screen;

"windows can not load the locally stored profile. Possible causes for this include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator."

Followed by

"Windows can not find local profile and is logging on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off."

Laptop Gateway, [XPmediacenteredition2002 servicepack2 Norton Internet Security Spy Sweeper] with the same problem. The exception is no clean up session HackedOff did in post#1 -- just normal use and shutdown. Then the next time used, encountered the problem reported here by HackedOff.

Tried a system restore as suggested in post#2, but it doesn't work. After reboot and getting assigned the temporary profile, a 'system restore' box/window comes up and says Restoration Incomplete Your system cannot be restored to: date System Checkpoint. Tried several of the bolded dates in May it's the same every time.

I've google searched "locally stored profile" and the consensus explanation/fix is along the line of the following......
This is typically a corrupt user profile. It can happen if a hard disk is failing or if the PC was not shut down properly. I recommend running chkdsk first and also check the drive for other symptoms of possible failure.
Usually the problem cannot be fixed quickly, and the process would be to log on as a different user with admin rights, rename the bad profile folder, then log in again as the user. Windows should create a new blank profile. Then import desktop icons, favorites, documents and settings, etc. to the new profile.
Also the consensus points to....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

#8 wxwindmill

wxwindmill

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:30 PM

Made a new profile and tried logging into it, but it seems hung on the Welcome
username Applying your personal settings.

#9 wxwindmill

wxwindmill

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:29 PM

Update. Was going to try something in safe mode, but instead chose NO and went with the restore system option and the system restore worked successfully this time. I'm helping out a relative so I'm not sure this is the case, but the computer seems slow now. Before the system restore, there were things that were definitely slow. Would the slowness point at anything in particular in this special case (hard drive going bad??? as suggested in some of the search/fixes for "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile"), or should I just point my relative to the suggestions/tutorials for slow computers here at bleepingcomputer.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:32 AM

Have you scanned for viruses/malware? I'd suggest one of these free, online scans to make sure it's not an infection causing this:
Be advised that some of these scanners will pickup things in "quarantine" from other anti-virus programs - so review the results carefully:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner Scan Only - no removal
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
http://onlinescan.avast.com/
http://ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

<links compiled on 02/14/2008>
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Novice Learner

Novice Learner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:11 AM

:flowers: I experienced this problem on the network at work. At times the fix is a simple re-start but on one computer i had to call the Network Admin. I was not able to access the applications from a server as well. When I ping the remote server it would show the request timing out after my local area network. We did a trace route on a PC accessing all the applications, the problem we saw was the default gateway. He changed it to the one on the next computer and voila, it worked again. I'm not sure if it entails the same on a standalone PC. :thumbsup:

#12 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

I got this error before. I ended up running a repair on XP. But that's not your real problem I believe that you have a hard drive that is on the fritz. I would boot into safe mode and open a command prompt and run
chkdsk C: /r
This will check all the bad sectors of the hard drive and fix them if it can.

Another program every network admin should have in his box of tools is SpinRite 6.0. This program goes where the operating system can't and fix the bad sectors of the drive and good sectors as well. I use it anytime that I can't boot up because some file is missing/corrupt, when I get a BSOD, or slow system performance. The program is 80 bucks for a home license but if you order 3 your set for any computer on your company network. It pays for itself the first time you use it.

Good Luck,
uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users