Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu At 100%

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CraigTee

CraigTee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

Hey there, I have a problem.

Really its my dad's pc, but im doing the asking.

Anyhow, his pc is running really slow. He had a few BSOD's because of a graphics tablet driver, which he uninstalled, the Blue screens went away, but the machine was still going in slow motion. Even when idle, the processor is at 14%, and it takes foreever to do things. He updated all his drivers, defragged the Hard Drive, ran antivirus, spybot, ad-aware, all finding nothing. So, as he, my brother and I all have identical componendts in our PC's, he swapped out memory from my bros' pc, Dad's still ran slow, brothers ran fine.

So that led us to the conclusion that its probably not a memory problem, but a processor fault. Or the graphics card is at fault. Or the motherboard is dodgy.

The next plan of action is to see if it still runs slow with a graphics card replaced. If it improves, it would mean its the graphics card thats at fault. If it doesn't, then its back to processor or motherboard fault.

Has anyone expierienced a problem like this or has any suggestions as to what to do other than the ones ive said?

Or even anything we havnt thought of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The PC specs are:

AMD Athalon 1.8 GHz 64 bit Processor 3000+
512MB RAM
Nvidia 6600 LE Graphics card
160 Gig Hard drive
ASUS A8n-SLI Deluxe motherboard
Runs Windows XP Home with service pack 2 installed

Cheers,
Craig

Edited by CraigTee, 05 April 2007 - 12:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

I had a problem like this before, but it was due to a really bad Trojan that none of my antivruses/anti-spywares could get rid of. Have you tried using vundofix? Here is the link to the download: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Vund...load-33165.html
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 CraigTee

CraigTee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:22 PM

Hey, cheers for the advice, but we tried it and didn't work.

However, we did discover that when running applications, as long as actions were contained within the application, it worked fine. Only when the system was accessed did it run slow, eg. saving etc.

So, we're going to repair windows with the OS disk, and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks anyway,
Craig

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

Several other things to check:
1) Task Manager...Processes tab - go to the view menu, then Select Columns, then put a check in the IO Reads box. This will give a new column to see if there's any excessive activity reading from the hard drive. Also, let us know how many processes are running (viewable in the lower left of Task Manager when in the Processes tab)

2) Event Viewer (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) Check, in particular, the System and Application logs for errors. Post back with them so we can suggest more to check.

3) Go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and download a free diagnostic utility that you can run on the hard drive.

4) Download SiSoft Sandra lite (freeware - google it) and run it to see if any problems are indicated.

5) Check this link out: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users