Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want To To Get Rid Of Everything And Start From Scratch

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 some_unknown

some_unknown

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right forum that this should be under but if it's not someone point me in the direction please...

So I'm having problems with my computer. I've defragmented the hard drive and it says it doesn't need it, but still my computer is running really slow and tends to reboot it self very often.

all I can think of doing is taking everything off of it and starting from scratch and load the programs back on that I need.

if anyone has any other sugestions please share. Or if you can help me with taking everything off of my computer so I can start over I would love it.

Thank you,

-some_unknown

Edited by some_unknown, 05 April 2007 - 11:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

If I had a choice, I would go with the clean install, starting from scratch. It's very easy to do.

If you have your hard drive backed up, then all you need to do is wipe out the hard drive, delete the partition, then create a new one, format, load the os, and you're good to go. Then all you have to do is load your programs, and transfer your backed up data over to your new os.

It's a done deal.

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:13 PM

Hello,

Before you start from scratch, try the following tools to help if they don't work then its time for a reformat (providing you have the OS cd)
tools...
1 ccleaner. http://www.ccleaner.com/download/ tell it to analyze and run cleaner, this will remove the clutter,

2 advanced windows care http://iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html this will fix a load of problems and hopefully boost performance

3http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php a very nice defrag tool, after you have run it use the windows defrag tool to compact the space.

bring up the taskmanager, how many processes do you have running? you can lower the number by going to this site and disable the services you don't need. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Hope this helps,
Let us know how you get on
Regards,

Alan.

#4 some_unknown

some_unknown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

how do you go about doing a "clean install"?

and what disks would I need to get it going again....I have my windows XP disc is that all I would need.

sorry I'm not the most computer literate person directions are a must =/

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:27 PM

If you have the motherboard cd, that would definitely help. If not, you can always download the motherboard files.

Question? Do you have means to backing up your data?

#6 some_unknown

some_unknown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

there's nothing on the computer that I want to keep.

the only discs that I have are
- Drivers and Utilities: for reinstalling Dall inspiron and XPS system Software
- Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- Windows XP Professional

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

I would check in the Event Viewer for any errors. If your computer is rebooting by itself it may be a hardware problem and re-installing Windows won't solve it.

How To Use Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 some_unknown

some_unknown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

I also found the Operating Systems disc

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

When a computer reboots by itself, it could be a hardware or software problem.

But since there's nothing on it that you want to keep, then the clean install is what would fit best.

There are a few different approaches you can take to reinstall the os, but here's a simple approach to it.

(I'm using my memory on this)

1. Put your OS cd in the drive.
2. Reboot your computer, and while it's in the P.O.S.T. screen (black screen) hold the DEL key. It should take you to your B.I.O.S. screen. Your computer may be different and you may need to hit one of the F keys.
3. After you get into your B.I.O.S. you will need to make sure that the 1st boot device is set to CD-ROM, so that it starts from the cd drive.
4. Reboot
5. When the computer loads, XP will load it's window with choices to select. Choose the Install XP option.

When you choose that option, it will complain that you already have an os on the computer. You want to continue with the install.

6. It will take you to another screen showing you your partition. You will want to delete that partition. Choose that option. Then choose the option to create a partition. Then choose the option to format.

After all of that is complete, Windows will do it's thing and bring you to the option to install Windows. Choose that option.... Now, just sit back and wait for the install to complete.

That's pretty much it.

After your Windows is complete, and you're in your desktop.... reboot, and while it's rebooting, hold your DEL key (or whatever you used to get into your B.I.O.S.) and change the 1st device to load to. That's your hard drive. And put your cd\dvd on the 2nd device to load.

But remember... the Windows screens may not say the exact messages as I said, but you'll see them, and the options you have. Just remember that you want to delete the partition, recreate one, format the drive, then install the os.

You'll be installed and good to go within an hour or so.

Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users