Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide Drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

:flowers:
Newbie with new build here:
Plan to run 2 drives on this system, MOBO is a Gigabyte GAM-59SLI-S5.
Floppy is a Mitsumi FA404M , DVD is a HP dvd940i.
Someone gave me this floppy drive, it is brand new, but without any tech. info. Mitsumi site, for some reason does not offer support on how to interface this unit.
It has 4 connectors; IDE, power, USB 2.0 and an unidentified 4 pin male connector just above the IDE slot.
My questions are:

Which connectors do I hookup for the floppy? I already know that I need to connect the IDE and power cables, what does the USB do in this case? Will it negate any other connectors? What is the 4 pin connector for? I remember reading somewhere, not sure where, to setup the bios 1st. then hookup the floppy...anyone concur?

DVD writer has a setting for cable select, master, and slave, this will be the primary drive. Should I set it to cable select or master? I am wondering if the MOBO bios has a cable select feature and will recognize as the DVD as primary. I have not gotten far enough in the build to even run the bios yet....lol.

Any info much appreciated :thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

OK, you have a floppy/usb card reader combo. Although it's similar to an IDE plug it's a few pins shorter and has it's own connection on the motherboard. You plug a USB connection into it for the card reader to work. Set your optical device to master and plug it into IDE2 on the motherboard. IDE1 will be for your hard drive(s)
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:43 AM

I think the 4 pin connector is the power connector to the Power Supply.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users