Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Gracenote, Cddb (and Roxio, Sort Of)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

I have Roxio Easy Media Creator and when I make mp3s of my cds, when you have the cd in and click the drive in the program, it contacts that Gracenote CDDB (or whatever) database to get the cd info (track titles, album/artist, etc.). But I notice that when you put the cd back in later, it still recognizes it (I believe) -- so it's storing that info somewhere on the computer I guess?

1. So I'm wondering if there's any reason not to use that feature -- could it be sending any other info to their website, etc.? IP address? Other personal info?

2. Is anything being put onto your computer when Roxio contacts their database?

3. How can you get rid of the stored data for each cd you have put in and got info from their database for?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users