Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Clemson4life81

Clemson4life81

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

I'm been having trouble with my computer latley. It has been freezing at random times. When it freezes you cannot bring up task manager. I have opened the case and cleaned all of the dust out but its gotten worse. Yesterday it just started not displaying a screen. The powers on but it doesnt display anything. Whats funny is I'm on the computer right now! I'm running on windows 2000.....Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:04 PM

That could be related to quite a few things, like:

a. a program or more is causing the problem.
b. your computer needs a defrag and a system clean up.
c. your registry needs cleaning.
d. your computer in infected.
e. your R.A.M. is going bad.
f. your motherboard is going bad.
g. your hard drive could be going bad.
h. your video card could be going bad.

One or more of the above is most likely your problem.

What you should do is when you can, load up your Task Manager and see what could be causing it. If you want to see more of the Task Manager, then I would suggest you download a FREE program called Process Explorer. It's a Task Manager, but much more advanced.

Also download this:

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...e-Edition.shtml
EVEREST Home Edition is a free system diagnostics, system information and benchmarking solution for home PC users, based on the award-winning EVEREST Technology. If you don't know what type of video card you have, or anything else about your computer, then you'll need this.

Check to see which programs you've installed when you noticed the problem. Also, check to see if you have the Java RuneTime listed in your Add/Remove Programs. If so, you can delete it, reboot, and see what happens. You can always download Java Runtime at any time.

But I had a similar problem like you, and The Java Runtime was my problem, with more than one different type of occurance.

#3 Clemson4life81

Clemson4life81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

Well I know my computer is clean from any spyware. I had someone on another site check out my HIJACK this log and everything looked great. I have run adaware and AVG alot and they have found nothing some I'm guessing its a hardware problem.. I have Everest already my my system is to old for the sensor because nothing comes up.....I defraged today and that hasnt helped etheir.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

Have you tried updating your firmware, your video drivers and such? Try that. It may help.

#5 Clemson4life81

Clemson4life81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

No but I'm going to do that! How do I update these?

Edited by Clemson4life81, 05 April 2007 - 12:29 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:48 AM

Check for bad caps on the motherboard, caps should have flat tops, bad cap may appear to have slightly rounded tops or bulging body, them may leak at their base as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:15 PM

No but I'm going to do that! How do I update these?

If you're using the Everest, and when you click on an item, like motherboard or such, it'll display a blue link in the right window. Clicking on the link will take you to where your drivers/updates should be. You'll probably need to search a few links on the site once you get there because it's not going to take you directly to the file itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users