Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Punctuation And Umlauts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

My brother has an XP Media Center computer that will type an umlaut (two dots over the letter) whenever he types " followed by a letter. He uses inches at work (") so this causes him problems.

This computer was used by a person from Argentina previous to him. He says that he's checked the Regional and Language Options in Control Panel and can't see anything wrong.

BTW - His date on the system is also a month off. Dunno if it's significant or not tho'.

Any ideas?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

Does it make a difference what letter he types or is it for all letters?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:05 AM

I would 1st change the date to the correct date, so that way it'll be easier to check to see what has changed, and when.

But it sounds like it could have a macros setup for the keys. There is also a function within the Windows XP where as if you hold down a set of keys for awhile (about 3-5 seconds or so) it'll change the keys. For example, what happened to me once was that my keys were changed, and then if I typed a character, it made it capital. And when I held the SHIFT + the key, it made the letter lowercase. If I'm correct, it made my number keys over the top reverse in what was typed.

I forget how I fixed the problem, but look at the Windows Help and it may have a section on changing the keys.

[Update]
I couldn't find anything on it from the Help, but I would at least look into that as a possible cause. I was so pissed when it happened to me. No matter what I typed, I gotten different cases and depending on the keys, different characters.

[Another Update]
Check to see if any fonts have been installed.

Edited by Walkman, 05 April 2007 - 11:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users