Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message Pops Up And Everything Closes.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Fayt

Fayt

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

These past few days, sometimes an error message says its encountered a problem and has to close down, you know with the error box and Send/Don't send buttons,and everything crashes. Then afterwards, when i try to open Firefox, no pages will load, so I have to restart. It's very annoying. Just now, I lost all ym settings and bookmarks.

Anyways the error message said that : sevrmswin.exe had to close down.
Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:52 AM

A google for that filename didn't show any results - so a malware scan is in order at this point.

Try this free one (it requires Internet Explorer): http://safety.live.com

Let us know the results and we can proceed from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

Is Firefox the application that you are running when the crash happens?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#4 Fayt

Fayt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

Well, it's usually Firefox and Trillian. And then BOOM. It just all crashes. And yeah, I'll try that scan now.

#5 Fayt

Fayt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:45 PM

Damn, didn't read, needed IE for it. my IE's a bit stuffed up, could you provide a link that doesn't need IE?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:46 PM

Nope, it won't work without ActiveX. BUT, here's another scan that doesn't need IE: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Fayt

Fayt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:23 AM

Nothing showed up. But I just scanned with Spybot and some wierd thing was detected, and after getting rid of it, every thing's normal. Oh well, thanks for your help anyways.
Oh and another question whenever I try to go into System Restore or User accounts, another error message comes up cept it's called ''Microsoft ® HTML.
Anybody know why this appears and I can't get in?

#8 Fayt

Fayt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:11 AM

Bump

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

1) Visit Windows Update and update everything
2) Try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )

#10 Fayt

Fayt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:00 AM

Pssh, well this sucks. Apparently the person who sold this to me didn't have a genine copy of XP.

Gah, so I have that pop up thing..

Yeah, this sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users