Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create A Recovery Dvd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sbrown.uk

sbrown.uk

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

Hi folks,

I'm giving an older PC with Win2000 Pro and various applications on it to my elderly inlaws, the system will have a 20GB drive split into 2 partitions, one for the OS and apps and one for back up and personal data. What I would like to do is create a easy to back up image of the system either on bootable CD/DVD or from an image on the back up partition. The emphasis needs to be 'easy back up' as the inlaws are in their 70s and not computer literate and dont live close enough for me to just pop over to assist.

I have Norton Ghost knocking around somewhere in my draws, tho not sure what version.

Any advice or walkthrough would be appreciated.

Regards
Sim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sbrown.uk

sbrown.uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:22 PM

Just found my version of ghost and its ghost 2003, which I believe will make a bootable CD/DVD of the system image file for me.
Any tips 'n' tricks still appreciated tho

Sim

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

I have found an article that is on point of what you want to do. The difference is it will also show you haw to make a recovery partition on the same drive. It will only need the Norton 2003 CD to restore the image.

Norton recovery Partition\CD\DVD, which may be simpler for your in-laws.

Edited by acklan, 07 April 2007 - 03:39 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 sbrown.uk

sbrown.uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

Job done, created the bootable DVD with the image on it, PC back with the wrinklies, took some explaining about reloading the ghost image in the event of disaster.
Senility, dont you just love it... :thumbsup:

Ta

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:55 PM

I like you... your silly. :huh:
I am happy you have what you need. If you need anything else just let us know. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users