Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Usb External Drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:45 AM

Hi,

I've just purchased the Western Digital 120Gb Black Passport Portable Hard Drive and have successfully saved a number of files on to it. However, now when I connect it to my PC in the system tray it recognises that it has been connected but in the "My Computer" folder the "WD" icon is not displayed or the drive letter the device is and as a result I can't access the drive.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Western Digital 120Gb Black Passport Portable Hard Drive or any other kind of USB external drive? If you have is there a solution or explanation why this has happened?

Thanks for you time

Andy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:57 AM

Did the HDD come with a disk with the driver on it? If so, try re-installing the driver.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:10 AM

Did the HDD come with a disk with the driver on it? If so, try re-installing the driver.

I've tried reinstalling the driver but I get the same outcome, it recognises the drive has been connected and that it is a WD external drive but there is no way to access the drive, when I go into "My Computer" there is still no Icon or drive letter etc.

Edited by Yorkie, 05 April 2007 - 06:11 AM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:17 AM

This is a long shot but I have heard it sometimes works for this problem. Shut down your computer and unplug it from the wall socket. Leave it for 10mins then plug it back in and reboot. Apparently allowing the residual current on the motherboard to discharge can fix the problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:02 AM

I've got one of these and it's great! It's also a USB device, so it works differently from internal hard drives. The drive letter assignments are variable, since USB devices assign them as they're plugged in.

So, to make a long story short, go to Disk Management (Start...Run...type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for the WD Passport there. If it shows up there, check the drive letter assignments to see if it's duplicated on another device. If so, just right click on the W-D drive and select "Change drive letter" (or something like that). It should then show up most ricky-tick! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Patrick708

Patrick708

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:48 AM

What OS are you using? Try opening windows explorer, to see if you can access it that way.

#7 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

I've got one of these and it's great! It's also a USB device, so it works differently from internal hard drives. The drive letter assignments are variable, since USB devices assign them as they're plugged in.

So, to make a long story short, go to Disk Management (Start...Run...type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for the WD Passport there. If it shows up there, check the drive letter assignments to see if it's duplicated on another device. If so, just right click on the W-D drive and select "Change drive letter" (or something like that). It should then show up most ricky-tick! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I've tried this but it only displays my internal hard drive. To answer the next question, my OS is XP and when I use windows explorer the drive doesn't show either.

#8 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:20 AM

Any one got any more ideas before I send it back and try and get a refund?

Thanks.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:28 AM

Does the drive show up in the Device Manager? If so remove it from there and then reboot.

Have you tried it with another computer?

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

Does the drive show up in the Device Manager? If so remove it from there and then reboot.

Have you tried it with another computer?

The drive shows up in Device Manager under the "Disk Drives" and the "USB controllers" sub-headings. When you say to remove it do you mean 'disable it' or 'Uninstall it'?

To answer your second question I tried it on my sisters laptop this morning but suffered the same problems as on my PC.

Thanks.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:23 PM

Uninstall it and then reboot.

If that doesn't work try reformatting the drive using FDISK. That is if there isn't any important data on it.

And if that doesn't work I'm all out of ideas.

Did you ever try shutting down and unplugging your computer?

Edited by Budapest, 06 April 2007 - 03:24 PM.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:08 PM

Uninstall it and then reboot.

If that doesn't work try reformatting the drive using FDISK. That is if there isn't any important data on it.

And if that doesn't work I'm all out of ideas.

Did you ever try shutting down and unplugging your computer?

I've tried the Device manager option and the shutting down and unplugging my PC option but still the drive won't show. The reformat the drive option won't work as the drive wont show up any where. I'm beginning to think that the drive is faulty as it worked fine a few days ago.

Thanks for your suggesetions though they are appreciated.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:07 AM

I agree with you. If it doesn't show in Disk Management, you can't fix it through Device Manager - and it doesn't work in 2 separate systems - then it's likely the drive that's at fault.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users