Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless access point

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 How and Why

How and Why

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:03 AM

Hi this is my first post.
Current set up:
I am using a Netgear rp614v2 router to connect two computers to the internet (it does not have wireless built in). The router is connected to Comcast high speed internet through an RCA cable modem. It has been in use for about two years with no problems.

Just bought my daughter a new laptop, 2.0 Ghz Pentium M Centrino.
I want to be able to give her wireless internet access through my existing modem but be able to turn off only the wireless signal when she is not home or not using it.

Browsed the web for info, results:

Use wireless access point plugged into current router when needed , unplugged when not needed.

Sounded simple . then I searched for wireless access point hardware. Search results always com back with a few access points but mostly wireless routers that also have wired ports.

Can I plug a wireless router into one port of my current router an use it as an access point?

If I can will the built in firewalls in the two routers conflict?

Would a wireless router have different security built in, just for wireless?

If I need to use just the wireless router can the wireless signal be turned off an still be able to use the wired ports?

I looked mostly at Netgear because the service I have gotten so far has been perfect. I took it out of the box plugged it in and it just works. I didn't even install their software.

I found Wireless access point model WG602 cost $55.00
Wireless router with three wired ports WGR614 cost $30.00 (on sale with a rebate) it was returned on the Netgear web site from a search for wireless access point.

Too many Questions?!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this loong first post and the answers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:52 AM

Hello How and Why and welcome to BC.

You don't say but are the other two computers hard wired?

Can I plug a wireless router into one port of my current router an use it as an access point?

Yes

If I can will the built in firewalls in the two routers conflict?

No. The firewall in the router closest to the modem will be the dominant one. Nothing will pass this into the wireless access point. I have a 4 port Linksys router that I can daisy chain to up to 255 other routers.

Would a wireless router have different security built in, just for wireless?

Yes, but that would only apply to the signal that it itself sends out. There are four different levels of security. WEB or WPA are the best, and depending on which you use you may take a performance hit.

If I need to use just the wireless router can the wireless signal be turned off an still be able to use the wired ports?

That would be a feature of a particular Wireless router. For the WGR614 the manual says:

If you disable the wireless LAN, wireless devices cannot communicate with the router at all. You might choose to turn off the wireless LAN when you are away and the others in the household all use wired connections.

If you are going to go from the cable modem to the existing router and then to the new one you don't need a crossover cable. Having said that using two routers seems like overkill. The new one should handle everything unless you need to place the wireless one in an area that allows the best signal to wherever you use the laptop.

Don't worry about too many questions. Thats what everybody is here for.

//MOD Edit - BB code//

Edited by KoanYorel, 15 January 2005 - 07:50 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 How and Why

How and Why
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:41 AM

Thank you for the info. :flowers:
To clarify my current hook up.
I have an RCA cable modem hooked into a Netgear wired only router with a built in firewall (the one that has worked flawlessly) It is wired to two computers all the time.

I expect the wireless will be on about two to three hours a day only when my daughter needs to access the internet on her laptop that we have had for about a week. Then when she goes away to college it will only be on when she comes home and needs it.

I was told to get the access point since my router is fine and that way when I want a wireless signal, to plug it in and when I don't to unplug it and it would not interfere with my current set up at all.

My only remaining concern is the security of the wireless signal to and from the access point. I assumed that it would have security for the wireless signal it generates built in.

The other day my daughter was in her room doing homework on her laptop and she yelled for me to come. I ran in and asked what was wrong? She said LOOK DAD I'm getting an internet connection! It seems that the laptop's built in wireless is always looking for a signal. The connection did not last long but it was somebody elses since I don't yet have a wireless signal....

Maybe I should have picked PARANOID as my screen name!? :thumbsup:

Thanks Again

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:35 AM

Your not being paranoid, your being practical.

The connection did not last long but it was somebody elses since I don't yet have a wireless signal....

Thats exactly what happened. Whoever has that access point is within 300 feet of your daughters bedroom and they have not enabled any security. Hackers love driving around looking for Hot Spots where they can use someone elses signal to gain internet access. Then, everything they do on the internet is done under your account and the ramifications come back to you. They can be anonymous. This is called "War Driving".

Intel has a good site for info here. Click on "Develop your wireless security plan". I assume that your daughter will have wireless access at school so consider that. Its also available in airports, on trains, in libraries, coffee shops, etc. In these situations security in the access point is disabled on purpose.

By all means, disconnect the wireless router when its not needed. Security is not that difficult to set up within the router. Dig out the manual!

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 How and Why

How and Why
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:29 AM

Many Thanks
This Wireless is all new to me.

I ordered the Access Point to add to my current router. When It comes I will make sure I turn on the security features. I will also look into turning on the security on the laptop so it's transmissions are secure.

Between the Intel site you Informed me about (thanks) and the Access point's Manual I should be able to figure it out. :thumbsup:

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:16 AM

Glad I was able to help. If you run into any other problems let us know.

#7 How and Why

How and Why
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:15 AM

Ok I'm back.
Note: I do not have a network set up. The computers cannot see each other and access the internet independently. I just want to give wireless internet access to my daughters laptop.

I hooked up the AP and the laptop automatically found it and connected.
Internet access was excellent. The "wireless network screen" said connected "open unsecured"

Then I started enableing the Security systems as recomended at the Intel site you pointed me to.

SSID broadcast : Disabled
Mac address control on and address listed
Internet access still works!

Then I turned on the Wep on the AP and the laptop could not connect. Network screen said security-enabled (wep). I went to the wireless settings in the laptop and typed in the wep network key assigned by the AP but it still did not work.

So turned off the Wep on the AP and on the laptop.

Back to unsecured wireless network, now laptop can connect again.

Notebook has Wpa-Psk security capability so I turned it on in the AP.

Network screen says security-enabled (WPA)

Notebook found the Wireless network and asked for the passkey. I entered it and it works! Yay!

Now for the Questions:
1- Should I be using both WEP and WPA-PSK?
2- Does WPA-PSK override WEP or work independently?
3- If WEP functions diffrently than WPA-PSK should I try to enable it again?
4- How do I know if the transmissions to and from the laptop and the AP are
invisible (secure)?
My guess would be to get friends with wireless laptops to bring them over and
see if they can connect or find my AP.
5-Will the above security measures stop "WAR DRIVERS" ?

(I tried to make description short, I hope it is clear enough)

Thanks Again!!

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:59 AM

Thats very clear and it sounds like you have done a great job. You can't use both types of encryption at the same time. WPA-PSK is the more secure of the two so you should stay with that. WEP is the older technology. I don't think that you need to worry about other systems having access to your AP but by all means try it out if you have the chance.

I don't think that you will ever be able to stop the knowledgeable and determined war driver but I can't see them bothering with your AP as there are so many unsecured AP's out there why bother with an encrypted one. You could always set up a Honeypot to confuse them. See this Microsoft article for more info on that.

I would feel confident with the security of your setup. After all, you already know one of your neighbours is a more attractive target. :thumbsup:

#9 How and Why

How and Why
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:54 AM

Thank you for your help and support!

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:42 AM

Your very welcome. Feel free to come back anytime you have a problem or concern.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users