Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A New Pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick708

Patrick708

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:59 PM

I've built two machine, but, those were done years ago, back when there was AGP. Today, the new thing seems to be PCI Express. PCI Express x16 and x1...etc.

Looking over power supplies for the case I am going with, I see where some supplies come with PCI-E connectors, and some don't. This is confusing me. Back in the days of AGP, you plugged your video card in the slot, and it was powered from the mother board. Is this the same with PCI Express, or, do they run directly off the power supply, now? In which case, I would need a power supply, with PCI-E power connectors.

Thanks, in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

Certain cards do and some don't. I think more don't use that then actually do. It would still be good to have just in case.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

Depends on if you want spectacular graphics or not. If you're content with decent graphics, then you probably don't need a power supply with a video card connector. If you want blazing fast graphics, better pony up.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:15 AM

The PCIe port can provide up to 75W of power. If a graphics card needs more than that, then you will need a separate PCIe power connector.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Patrick708

Patrick708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

Awesome guys. Thank you very much.

Yes, I most definitely want the better graphics. My son wants this machine for gaming...etc. Now, to verify that, the card I'm looking at, comes with a power connector.

Again, Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users