Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removeing Write Protection From A Dvd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 labouton

labouton

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

In WinXP Pro, I was using a program (Backup MyPC), formatted the DVD and got an error message indicating that the DVD was write protected. The question is, how do I remove the write protection??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chapo

chapo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

Did you format the DVD or was it in the process of formatting when you recived the error?

#3 labouton

labouton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

No I had completed formatting and was just beginning to backup when I got the error message that the DVD was write protected.

#4 chapo

chapo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

Let me ask if i may what are the specs of your dvd burner and what type of dvds are you using?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:54 PM

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

quoted from the forum rules here.

Since this subject is against the rules this topic is closed.

Animal, Forum Moderator

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 labouton

labouton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:13 PM

These DVD's are new, blank ones that I couldn't get to operate with my XP. Sorry!

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

You are saying you bought DVD disks, brand new never used, nothing on them, and you get a write protected message when you attempt to use one?

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

With the explanation provided, I understand that a rule has not been infracted. I have therefore reopened the topic and merged them together.

Thank you for the clarification, labouton

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:22 PM

I'm not sure of the methods, nor the reason for trying to format a dvd anyway... (any blank disc (dvd or cd)), but whatever you're doing, you need to stop trying to format. Just burn whatever you need to the disc. That's all you need to do. No matter what type of data you're burning.

1. What programs are you using as your dvd/cd burner?
2. What type of files are you trying to burn?
3. Do you have any rewritable dvd/cd's?
4. Does you burner play media when you put them in the drive?
5. How long has this problem been going on? When did you notice it?...
6. Did you load some just before this problem started?

When I read the BackupMyPC DVD format part,.... I'm thinking that's your problem.

Double-check and make sure you're not the culprit of this problem. I have my share of not doing as directed at times, and then noticing it down the road.

Just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users