Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C0000218 Fix Process

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MA2007

MA2007

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:52 PM

1) I have followed MS knowledge base instruction for this fix 307545. Was in Recovery Console mode, and saw the command prompt that looks like DOS prompt, did not start yet and just exited. To go back in again, should I boot up from XP cd again to get there to start the fix? I will be using the fix by Charlie White as recommended by USASMA. I am very new to this process and clueless, but wanted to be very careful.

2) if I am in there, is it advisable to recover using the CHKDSK first as suggested by Peter Hayes on your site. Would this affect files like My Documents,and My Pictures folders. Reason why I am asking this is that my Dell support said that if they try to run a recovery procedure which I presume is CHKDSK, it may corrupt some data that are there.

3) or ignore # 2 and directly try to manually fix the registries as per instructions.

ASAP help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:59 PM

I'm not familiar with the post that you refer to (I post a whole bunch!). What are you trying to do in Recovery Console? Could you give me a link to the post (my eyes are bad, so it's hard for me to search).

chkdsk will attempt to recover data - and if it can't it'll save it in several files. If it's not text information, chances are you won't be able to view it - but it's likely that this data is lost already so you don't have much to lose.

All of this depends on what's causing your problem with the STOP error. I presume that recovering the data is more important than getting the system working immediately. Data can be recovered - but it'll take time, and in extreme instances may even cost some money (from a few bucks to around $1600 with lot's of options in between).

Here's a link to a description of the STOP error: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x218

So, trying the links for instructions on how to fix this should probably be first on the list (in particular, this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545&sd=RMVP )

Be careful what you do - a wrong step can hose your data!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MA2007

MA2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:26 PM

Thanks USASMA!

My c0000218 is registry file failure. The registry file can not load the hive (file):
\systemRoot\system32\config\software error.

I thought from reading the articles below that the data can still be salvaged since it is not a hardware error.
The links I am talking about that you suggested before are:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/artic...cle.jsp?id=8658

My understanding is that I have to restore all the major registries to get back to where I was last in Windows, meaning My Doc and My Pic folders would still be there.

If the files can not be recovered, won't it be just better to re-install Windows Xp - Home edition from the boot up cd that DELL had provided? That way it is much cleaner.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

I'd try this link first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545&sd=RMVP

Since it's can be a corruption problem, it can be a problem with the hard disk corrupting the data (but not likely in this case).

If the above link doesn't fix it, then the repair install ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) will likely repair it (and it will leave your data alone).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MA2007

MA2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

OK. I will try the Guided help. I actually have read about it in my research but was not sure how good it is.

Again, TY TY !

Will maybe be here again when I get stuck in my try.

#6 MA2007

MA2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:35 PM

I do not completely understand the article on Guided Help. It says that it can help you repair registry that prevents you starting your Windows XP, but it said in the system requirement you have to run this under Windows XP. How can it repair when I can not open my Window XP in the first place.

Link for Guided help is

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545&sd=RMVP
I tried to boot up from CD with this software, but my Dell computer ignored it and went staight to the Recovery options like Safe Mode, etc...
Am I missing something here?

My understanding is that all these softwares e.g. Guided Help, System Mechanics, Tweaknow etc only run under Windows XP. So if I cannot start up Windows XP, these software are useless to me??

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

The guided help is just a video showing how the steps are done. Below the guided link "window" is a description of how to do the repair manually.

Or you can just skip to the repair install link.

#8 MA2007

MA2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

OK. Will do. :thumbsup: and TY

#9 MA2007

MA2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

For problem on C0000218 crash on Registry failure . The registry can not load the hive:
\system32\config\software error,
I was using Micorsoft fix 307545 instructions but could not go further.

I have attempted Step 1 (backup process), but is getting error when I tried to bkup

c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software

Error is 'The file could not be copied'.

Please help, I am stuck right now. Thanks.

#10 MA2007

MA2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

PROBLEMS SOLVED!! :thumbsup:

I have figured out what was the problem. More problems turned up but debugged them all. You really need DOS knowledge to fix this.

NOTE: I had a Dell Inspiron 600M with Windows XP Home Edition. People who have this may encounter similar problems to mine.

Problems and fixes along the way: using microsoft knowledge base fix 307545

Step One)

1) 'File can not be copied' error when "copy C:\windows\tsystem32\config\system to a tmp file"

I just 'rename' all the files as recomended by Charles White's fix addendum to have extension .kpp, since the purpose is to save backup copies of the registers. The problem is that the file has a different file extension name. See link below for Charles White fix article for renaming
http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/artic...cle.jsp?id=8658

2) File not found when copying c:\windows\repair\system

Use DOS command 'DIR /windows/repair', I saw that the system file has an file extension of .bak
so I retyped the command as
copy c:\windows\repair\system.bak c:\windows\system32\config\system

Step Two)

1) When I logon on as Admin, and click TOOL, there was no Folder options on drop down.

I have to find this Folder options by Clicking on START and using SEARCH function. The pop-up screen for this SEARCH will show you TOOL and it has the Folder options.

2) When Accessing System Information Folder, I keep getting Access Denied even when I have applied
the Microsoft knwledge base fix 309531. It did not work.

Right click on System Information; Go to Security; You only see 'System' (with two faces); Add Administrator to it. make sure you click all the permissions. This now allows authority for a user called Administrator which you logon as to access System Information.

Hope this helps others in the future. GOOD LUCK!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users