Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows - No Disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aim4116

Aim4116

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

I keep getting a pop up box, titled "Windows - No Disk". Inside the box is a red circle with a white X, "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive.", followed by three buttons: Cancel, Try Again, Continue. It does not appear to be associated with any program I am running at the time, because it happens randomly with different programs: IE, Canon ZoomBrowser, Outlook Express..... After trying all of the buttons, the box pops back up instantly, and you can hear the computer attempt to read the disk drive.

After closing any/all programs, nothing is showing in task manager. Any help in finding the root of the request and what it is related to?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

Try opening Task Manager to the Processes tab. Then click on the CPU column to get the highest usage numbers up top.

Then click on the box and see what sort of activity you get. Get the name of the processes that jump and we may be able to identify it.

Also, in the Processes tab, click on the View menu and then on Select Columns, then put a check in the IO Reads box. Then do the above stuff again - but this time with the IO Reads column info.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Aim4116

Aim4116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:33 AM

I tried all of your suggestions, but nothing stood out to me. SMSystemAnalyzer moved to the top of the activity list briefly each time I clicked cancel. I read on other posts to right click and select 'go to process'. This took me to 'csrss.exe' So now I have found the program prompting the error, but what is my next step in correcting?

I am also unsure what to do with the IO reads information.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

SMSystemAnalyzer appears to be a part of the iolo System Mechanic program. Try uninstalling it to see if it helps.

As for the IO Reads, it'll check the disk accesses of the programs. Just double click on the IO Reads column to bring the big numbers to the top - then click on the box to see what program is creating the most disk reads.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users