Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Speed Internet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

this is what is says:

Speed (Down/Upstream):

Up to 3Mbps/320Kbps

Lightning-fast

whats my actual speed going to be when downloading and uploading?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

The operative words here are "up to." Obviously uploads will be much slower than downloads, and both are dependent upon the server at the other end. This applies to just about any ISP, but you can find a lot of information, including user reviews, for various ISPs at DSL Reports:

http://www.dslreports.com/

The speeds advertised and to which you refer are close to the bottom tier of speed ranges for DSL connexions.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

Throw this into the mix-if you live next door to the switching station your speeds on DSL will be blazing, but if you're like half of the folks out there, you don't live anywhere close and your speed and connection for DSL won't be as fast.
You didn't say WHAT type of high speed internet you are interested in.
The thing to remember is that there will always be issues no matter what type of internet service you have, no matter what company. I think it depends on the area and the structure the companies have in place.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

They should cap you at 366kB/s down and 39kB/s up. The actual speeds you are going to get is going to vary depending on a lot of factors as John and Queen-Evie already explained.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

ah, its cable and am i able to uncap the modem?

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

It's not the modem capping you, it's the ISP's server. And even if you could get rid of the cap, I doubt it would help much. If they had more speed to give, they would be willing to sell it to you.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

oh. ok. well it was worth asking

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:29 PM

If you are presently on dialup, you will be dancing round in little circles regardless. LOL

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:21 PM

I am on dial up. If you can get it go for it.

They though just recently put in a switching station and I would be the second house to hit it just maybe 6000ft away. After all these years.

I can get a biz. dsl with 3mb down and 1mb up and the man said since I was so so close I could probably always get close to it if not 3mb.

If I remember correctly dsl is not? based on how many are using the same lines at a time but how far away you are as cable is based on how many use it but can go further.

#10 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

correct, with DSL the speed is not affected by how many people are connecting through that same CO. Cable slows down the more people are on one branch

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:09 PM

Now if I only had 120 something bucks a month for biz. class dsl....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users