Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Keeps Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rob1white1

rob1white1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

[size=7]

I'm having a problem with a computer that I'm working on.

I get to the desktop of Windows XP Home and after it loads everything it keeps reboots.

I can get to the Desktop and do work in Safe Mode but not under the regular user desktop.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

Check the Event Viewer for errors around the time of the reboot. Particularly check the System and Application sections (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:11 PM

[size=7]

I'm having a problem with a computer that I'm working on.

I get to the desktop of Windows XP Home and after it loads everything it keeps reboots.

I can get to the Desktop and do work in Safe Mode but not under the regular user desktop.

Any suggestions?

Maybe this will apply to your problem. HTH

VIA storage driver causes constant rebooting

Anyone using Microsoft Update on Feb. 16 was offered a very problematic VIA storage driver. What patchers found was that this driver made their machines unusable because of constant reboots.

People posting about the issue on Google Groups' Windows Update forum on Feb. 16 said the only thing that allowed them to recover from the reboots was to launch the machine's "last known good configuration." They could then uninstall the VIA driver.

If you have a machine that suffers from constant rebooting, regardless of the cause, you should be able to gain control by pressing F8 (or some other key defined by your machine) at a specific point in the boot-up sequence. Then select Last Known Good Configuration. This is explained in Microsoft KB article 307852.

Microsoft reportedly pulled the VIA driver from its update servers. I haven't yet seen a KB article about the problem.

Experienced patchers never install hardware drivers offered up by Microsoft Update. Why? Because too many of us have had bad experiences. There can be no greater pain than a dead machine. Instead, you should obtain needed driver updates directly from the vendor's Web site, where the latest versions are likely to be found.

Drivers are typically down in the "optional" section of Microsoft Update, but they can be in the upper, "critical" section if you have an OEM system.

The lesson to be learned from the pain and suffering? If your machine allows you to disable its "last known good configuration" feature, don't. It might help you out one day.VIA STORAGE DRIVER CAUSES CONSTANT REBOOTING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users