Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To Linux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 donuteh

donuteh

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:45 AM

Hey,
I'm wanting to try Linux because it's getting more popular and I've hear many, many things about it, but my problem is I don't know what one to try, I'm willing to learn but would like as few hair compatibility issues as possible (don't want to be bald like my dad) I must have found 200+ versions of Linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
The speed of sound is defined by the distance from door to computer divided by the time interval needed to close the media player and pull up your pants when your mom shouts "OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

For just learning on, try a LiveCD first, such as Knoppix ( www.knoppix.net ) or if you want to take the plunge, I would suggest installing Gentoo ( www.gentoo.org ) as a first Linux OS

Edited by twardnw, 04 April 2007 - 01:43 PM.

#3 donuteh

donuteh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:19 PM

Thank You, I'll give it a try.
The speed of sound is defined by the distance from door to computer divided by the time interval needed to close the media player and pull up your pants when your mom shouts "OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!"

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

I like fedora core 6 but it's not so good to learn on. I would agree with knoppix to play with. Ubuntu is popular so I would give that a go.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

Puppy(Live CD),Knoppix(Live CD), Gentoo(Live CD), and Ubuntu and its devents kubuntu, and xubuntu(Live CD) are good if your a Win95 and up user who has very little knowledge of the Command Prompt. Fedora Core/Red Hat is good if you know how to manipulate the Command prompt.

Posted Image

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:19 AM

Since there are already a ton of threads on this topic, there is no sense continuing with this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users