Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Find Computer Name

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:39 AM

Basic question...

Does anybody know how to find like the name of a computer on my network by the ip address? Like we have 50-100 people on our network and we have all the computer named by the owner, so if we could use the ip address to find that computer name then we would know exactly whos computer it is.

Anybody know if this is possible?
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:08 PM

Yes, it's possible as long as the computers are set to broadcast this info. What program are you looking at the IP addresses in?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

I don't really have a program, any suggestions on what i should use? I thought maybe you could just do something through command prompt i wasn't sure...

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

So, I guess what we'll need to know is how you're going to find out what the IP addresses are. Also, we'll need to know if these are static or dynamic IP addresses. There's plenty of network tools that'll do this - but we'll need to know more about the situation before we can suggest an appropriate tool.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

It is a ip address that is assigned by DHCP but it always assigns that IP to that computer... IE if he restarted the computer it would still give him that IP address until it expires i guess? We already know what the IP address is...

Basically we know the IP address of the computer, we just want to find out who it is by the name of the computer...

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:43 PM

I'm not sure what it is that you are asking, but to find out if the DHCP has set the address or a previous user. go to control panel select network connections, right click on the adapter that you are using, select properties.
On the list that is displayed, scroll down until you find internet protocol tcp/ip select it and click properties. if it is set to automatically detect, then the IP has been assigned by DHCP, if not then a previous user has modified the IP.

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#7 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

In a basic way, im trying to find out the computer name by using the ip address that i have.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:05 PM

We can do this, it's just a matter of how.

Since we presume that you're using DHCP, the IP address will change depending on when systems are shutdown and restarted - so you won't have a static list to work from.

The easiest way to see this info is by using Windows Explorer. (Start...Run...type in "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter).

Ensure that the Folder bar is visible on the left side of the window. If not, go to the View menu, select Explorer Bar, then click on Folders.

**This will be a bit vague since my XP isn't connected to a network**
In the Folder bar, left click once on the + sign to the left of My Network Places.
Then click on the + sign next to Entire Network
Then click on the + sign next to Microsoft Windows Network
Then click on the + sign next to the name of your network.

The computer names should be displayed in the right hand pane (you may have to adjust the view to "Detail" to see all of this). Also displayed should be the information that you can add for this. I'm unsure if the IP addresses will be displayed, but I'm sure that you can right click on them and get the IP somewhere in Properties.

This is done from memory of the last 2 networks that I did this on. One was XP SP1 and the other was Windows NT - so I don't thing that it has changed much.

EDIT: Right clicking on the bar with the Name and Comments will let you see what columns are available.

Edited by usasma, 04 April 2007 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users