Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rtdcpl.exe - Illegal System Dll Relocation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

One of my users is having problems on boot up and I am not sure where the problem lies.

This applies to a Win XP SP2 machine.

[code=auto:0]
RTDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation
The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contexted for a new DLL.
[code=auto:0]

I have tried researching RTDCPL.exe and I can't come up with anything. I had the user reboot and she gets the same message after logging in. I click okay and the message closes. She is not experiencing any other immediate problems.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:21 AM

This is a biggie today - try the fixes on this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87278/illegal-system-dll-relocation-message/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

I attempted the fix, but I am still getting the same error. Also, my error message refers to RTDCPL.exe which is the RealTeck AC97 Audio Control Panel. The Microsoft post refers to the RTHDCPL.exe, which is the RealTeck HD Audio Control Panel.

Has anyone come across a fix for the AC97?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:31 PM

There's several fixes there. I presume that you've got XP with Service Pack 2 installed and that you installed the update from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925902

Did you install the fix for the Realtek card?
It's in KB935448. Here's the download link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

I went to the verification screen and I saw the following:

Quick Details
File Name: WindowsXP-KB935448-x86-ENU.exe
Version: 935448
Knowledge Base (KB) Articles: KB935448
Date Published: 4/3/2007
Language: English
Download Size: 703 KB

I downloaded and installed this patch to no avail; the error message still appears. Is the RealTek fix something separate or is it part of this patch? Does it make a difference that my executable for the RealTeck driver is different (RTDCPL.EXE instead of RThDCPL.exe)

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

I suspect that you don't have the version that needs patching because of the difference in the executable (.exe file).

That's the Realtek patch alrighty! Do you have SP2 installed and have you installed this patch on top of SP2? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925902

If that don't fix it, then this is a whole 'nother ball game (we'll have to work something else to fix it).

If it isn't fixed, try uninstalling your Realtek drivers, then download the latest copy from the manufacturer's website and install it. Let us know if that works.

Edited by usasma, 04 April 2007 - 02:49 PM.

#7 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:33 PM

Please clarify what you mean by "on top of SP2".

Like everyone in the network, she does have SP2 installed. I verify this by going to "My Computer/Properties' and clicking on the "General " Tab and the description readsL

System:
Microsoft XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

#8 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

One more thing that I would like to add that is interesting / frustrating.

I go to the Device Manager and I see the following:

Sound, video and game controllers
Audio Codecs
legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Video Codecs

When I go to uninstall the Realtek AC'97 Audio and log out, I still get the same error as above. When I do a total reboot, the driver is back like I never uninstalled it.

Edited by SysTech Guy, 05 April 2007 - 01:29 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

Sorry, by "on top of" it means to install it after SP2 is installed.

Try installing a freshly downloaded copy of the driver over the current driver (without removing them first). It may overwrite it and fix the problem. Also, I've heard that there is a "fix" available on the RealTek website (but haven't seen it myself).

#10 thrylos7

thrylos7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

I think there is a missunderstanding here... I followed the suggested link for troubleshooting the issue (yes I'm also a victim of the same) and it seem that the documentatin is about RTHCPL not RTDCPL ... These seem to be two different things ...

#11 thrylos7

thrylos7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:22 AM

More to this ...

After searching the web without any success in figuring out the nature of RTDCPL.EXE I run msconfig and disabled the executable from running at the time my PC boots up. This muted the problem (rebooted with no errors). I haven't see any problems in the behavior of my apps since doing that.

It may worth scanning periodically the web for mor einfo on this exe.

#12 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

I think there is a missunderstanding here... I followed the suggested link for troubleshooting the issue (yes I'm also a victim of the same) and it seem that the documentatin is about RTHCPL not RTDCPL ... These seem to be two different things ...

Yes, the rthdcpl.exe has to do with the RealTech HD Audio Driver, while the rtdcpl.exe refers to the RealTek AC97 Audio Driver.

I emailed RealTek about this issue since the Microsoft path does not seem to work for the rtdcpl.exe error and this is the response I received:

Hi,

Please update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448 .

Best Regards
PC-Tech

Really helpful (sarcasm)

Edited by SysTech Guy, 06 April 2007 - 12:07 PM.

#13 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

Try installing a freshly downloaded copy of the driver over the current driver (without removing them first). It may overwrite it and fix the problem. Also, I've heard that there is a "fix" available on the RealTek website (but haven't seen it myself).

I decided to go into msconfig and just disable the executable on startup. I haven't noticed any problems with the sound or any other application.

If anyone finds information on this error regarding the RealTek AC97 driver, please post.

Thanks for everyone's input.

#14 jujosa

jujosa

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

I have the same problem since the safety updates (925902 and 928843)
were installed on April 3th.
Apparently there is an incompatibility between these two latest updates. See the information provided in this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/en-us

I have tried to install the fix proposed there but it does not work. Reason: "Different language of the software"??????

Is there any new proposal how to fix this nasty problem, created by Microsoft itself due to the incompatibility of its safety updates??.

Thanks to everyone who could help.
Jujosa

#15 I don't know jack

I don't know jack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:11 AM

I decided to go into msconfig and just disable the executable on startup. I haven't noticed any problems with the sound or any other application.

If anyone finds information on this error regarding the RealTek AC97 driver, please post.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I've been having the same issue that's been discussed on this topic and would like to know how I can go into the msconfig and disable this. I don't know much about computers so if someone could help explain how to disable this .exe from running on startup it would be greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users