Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed New Epson Printer.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

Not sure if this is the correct forum but apologise if not and could a mod move it.

I bought a new Epson Stylus D78 Printer which arrived yesterday and after unpacking it followed the instructions and it installed and works fine right from the off. This morning I found that my PC had rebooted during the night with the message "The computer has rebooted from a bug check" Event ID 1001 & 1003 and 0x000000c2,(0x00000007,-----0x00000cd4,-----0x10418264,-----0x84536330)

I googled the above and found it could possibly be a problem with a new installation. While going through my PC I found that the printer had added itself to my start menu which I disabled via Autoruns and had added the following programs to my add/remove programs list.

EPSON Attach to Email--------------------------0.93MB
EPSON Easy Photo Print-----------------------76.49MB
EPSON File Manager---------------------------36.68MB
EPSON Printer Software---------------------------------
EPSON Scan Assistant-------------------------3.80MB
EPSON Web-To-Page---------------------------1.21MB
ESC79_D78 User's Guide----------------------4.41MB

My previous printer a Canon had I am sure only one entry. I am not a heavy printer user, I use it occasionally and my daughter also uses it occasionally as well but neither of us have any need for photo printing etc.What exactly is Attach to Email etc. My question is therefore do I need all the above programs installed for it to function or can I safely delete some and if so which ones is it safe to uninstall.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:40 AM

You shouldn't need any of those entries to print. BUT, make sure that the printer functions properly first! (This is because your error message could be traced to a faulty driver).

Also, is this XP, Vista, or some other OS? Make sure that you've installed the correct drivers for the OS that you're using.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JohnDubya

JohnDubya

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:33 AM

Assuming you are in the US...

Here is Epson's driver download page for printers. I didn't see a Stylus D78 on there, but you can look around. Good luck!

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...pansion=1000000

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

My OS is Windows XP2 and the drivers and all the programs mentioned came from the Epson installation disc which came with the package. There was an instruction leaflet and the disc, I followed the instructions and when it was finished I printed off a word file I had in my files and it printed it out no problem. Just as a doublecheck I have just printed off a transcription I had on my hard drive and again no problem. Another thing possibly worth mentioning is that in device manager under "Other Devices" I have two entries one says "PCI Simple communications controller" and the other says" USB device". Both of these devices are disabled as the first one I am sure was the old 56k modem which we had before the ethernet one we now have with broadband and the second one was I am sure the old Canon S330 Printer which I disabled when it stopped working. The reason I mention this is that nowhere in Device Manager is the new printer mentioned it is in the printers and other hardware screen in control panel but I am sure that the old printer was also mentioned in Device Manager.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

I was talking to the Epson rep at work yesterday and there's only one Epson left that has a parallel port on it (the C88 I think). The rest are USB.

While a parallel port printer may show up in Device Manager, I doubt that the USB one will - unless it's listed under one of the USB devices at the bottom of the Device Manager list.

The key is that the printer is listed in the Printers applet in Control Panel. That'll contain the directions to the printer on how it's supposed to print (USB, parallel, etc).

Since you recall these other devices from the past, I'd suggest that you leave them disabled. As for the printer, since it seems to be printing, leave it alone and wait to see if you get another STOP 0xC2 (shorthand for all them numbers you typed at first). You can go ahead and remove the items from the Startups as they aren't essential for the printer to operate (and you can restore them easily enough if you need them).

FWIW - the drivers on the disk that came with the computer may not be the latest ones. The printer sat on a shelf at the factory until it was shipped to the distribution warehouse. Where it sat on a shelf until it was shipped to the store. Where it sat on a shelf until purchased. Normally these drivers will work just fine - but when problems arise it's best to get the latest one's from the manufacturer's website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for that Usasma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users